PC’s Pat Dunn regains Pictou Centre seat

Pat Dunn is going to represent Pictou Centre again and is happy that he’ll have some fellow party members from Pictou County to join him.

Pat Dunn celebrates with Conservative party members at his headquarters in New Glasgow. He said he’s looking forward to representing the people of Pictou Centre again. ADAM MACINNIS – THE NEWS

“That’s just great having three of us being able to represent the county. It’s going to be a unified voice,” Dunn said. “It’ll make our job much easier to address issues from Pictou County at the legislature.”

Dunn was the incumbent when he lost narrowly to NDP representative Ross Landry in the 2009 election. But this time Dunn won by a landslide over both Landry and Liberal candidate Bill Muirhead.

“In ’09 the NDP made some bold promises and I felt at that time those were promises they weren’t able to keep,” Dunn said. “Over the next four years it certainly showed that they were not capable of fulfilling the promises. They really disappointed the electorate. People were looking for a change. They didn’t get the change.”

Asked if he expected such a dominant win, Dunn said simply that he had been confident with the support of his campaign team that he would win.

“We’ve had an army of great volunteers and we all work very, very hard,” he said.

There are a lot of issues that Dunn says are now of importance that he wants to address when he gets back to the legislature ranging from health care to the economy.

“I felt that we had a good platform with regard to turning the economy around,” he said. “We certainly will be supporting any endeavours by the governing party to do that in our province. It’s really important that all three parties come together to turn things around and get some back of our youth to Nova Scotia from out west.”

He said he believes that the Progressive Conservatives will have a good working relationship with the Liberals.

“I know Stephen McNeil and I believe he will want us to work with him to help improve the atmosphere as far as what’s happening in the province and to turn it around and get it going in the right direction,” Dunn said.

He thanked all the voters in Pictou Centre for the support they’ve showed him.

“I’ll certainly won’t disappoint them and I’ll work very hard representing them and their issues in the legislature.”

Landry said that he accepts what happened and holds no negative feelings about it.

“I worked as hard as I could work and did the best we could do and the public has spoken,” he said.

He said he was surprised by the loss, however.

“I’m very surprised because the message consistently from people was you’re doing a good job.”

He said he’s proud of the accomplishments they were able to do including seeing DSTN come to Trenton and a new school started in New Glasgow.

“I gave my best and I worked as hard as I could for the constituents for Pictou Centre.”

He said he will move on in his life and looks forward to spending more time with his wife and spending more time on the sports he’s involved in.

Organizations: Pictou Centre, NDP, Progressive Conservatives

Geographic location: Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Trenton New Glasgow

Comments

Comments

• joe c
    October 09, 2013 - 18:36

well lets see how pictou county fairs when we did not put one liberal seat in when there is a liberal majority provincial government.? We may have a tight four years for showing no support. Why would they help an area that does not support them? I would not!

• C. Joe
      October 09, 2013 - 20:00

The vast majority of funding for most large projects/business grants comes from the federal government. Who is in power federally?

• Jack MacNeil
    October 09, 2013 - 16:46

Now Pat is sure to receive his gold plated pension after this term...well done.

• Jack MacNeil
    October 09, 2013 - 15:07

Now Pat is sure to receive his gold plated pension after this term...well done.

• observer
    October 09, 2013 - 07:04

Congrats to Pat on a wipe-out victory and to all three winning candidates. s well, I that the electorate of Pictou County and all of Nova Scotia who helped make October 8 the Good-bye date for Mr. Dexter and his party organization. The three county NDP candidates can thank Dexter for their defeat and the Party will need a highly visible leadership convention to replace Dexter as leader. Like many county residents, I was put-off by his support for big business and his provision of Millions of dollars to shore-up their failures while we watched the majority of our skilled work-force leave the Province to seek a living elsewhere. Meanwhile, many of the anticipated jobs from these taxpayer supported initiatives never happened. Well now many of the former NDP MLA's will face the sting of unemployment. However given the NDP legislated changes to MLA pension rules will certainly offset the the financial impact of losing their seats. I say to the three winning candidates take a lesson from this election and get down to doing what you were elected to do- Represent the best interests of your constituents or you too will be joining the ranks of the unemployed.

• observer