Kirwan's remains found in Heathbell

Search and Rescue teams were in Heathbell, Pictou County October 15 looking for evidence in relation to the disappearance of Amber Kirwan. Police and search teams returned to the same area again Saturday and this time they located human remains which have not be identified as of yet.

The search for Amber Kirwan has ended in tragedy.

Police confirmed Sunday that human remains found in Heathbell Saturday are those of 19-year-old Kirwan who went missing Oct. 9 after leaving Dooly's in New Glasgow.

Police are not confirming how she died, but say that it is being investigated as a homicide. An autopsy was not performed as of Sunday, but police confirmed the remains were identified visually.

RCMP Const. Bill Rudolph said the remains were uncovered in a wooded area on a Heathbell farm property.

"At this time no cause of death has been released, but we are advising the public it is a homicide investigation at this point."

Ground search and rescue crews as well as police continued to comb a blocked off section of Heathbell Road Sunday, which is located a few kilometers outside of Lyons Brook, Pictou County.

This is the second time in three weeks a massive search has been conducted in the Heathbell area in relation to Kirwan's case.

Rudolph confirmed the general area was searched before on the weekend of October 15. He said they came to search the area based on tips and their own investigation.

"It's not one of those 'ah ha' moments," he said. "It's something that builds."

He said it takes a considerable amount of time to build and process a warrant.

"There was sufficient grounds to apply to a justice for a search warrant to go onto that property," Const. Bill Rudolph said.

RCMP had the road blocked on either end of Heathbell, stopping motorists and asking for identification before turning them around.

Rudolph said the road will remained closed to thru traffic as a long as it takes police to process the area for evidence.

When asked if Heathbell residents should be concerned about their safety, Rudolph said that was a difficult question to answer in light of the fact that they don't have anyone in custody for the murder as of yet.

"Everyone should use proper care when out and about," he said, adding he couldn't comment on whether this was a random act because the homicide investigation was only 24 hours old.

He said it was too early to say if the police had any suspects in mind.

Contrary to some rumours circulating online, there is no apparent connection between Mason Campbell and the property where the remains were found, Rudolph said.

Anyone with information that may assist police with this investigation is asked to contact Pictou County RCMP, New Glasgow Police or Crime Stoppers at 1 (800) 222-8477.

Organizations: RCMP, New Glasgow Police Service

Geographic location: Heathbell, New Glasgow, Pictou County

Comments

Comments

• Sylvia
    November 07, 2011 - 11:49

I live in Invermere BC, and my heart is breaking over this. I did not know Amber or her family or friends but I feel as if their loss has become mine. Your story has come to this side of the country and I hope that they catch the ones responsible for this tragedy. I pray everyday that you find comfort in each others arms. God bless you and may you feel her presence all the time in everything you do.

• marie
    November 07, 2011 - 09:31

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of this beautiful young lady.

• Melissa
    November 07, 2011 - 09:20

I only met Amber a short while ago, my heart breaks for her and her family. The last few weeks this whole community has come together for strength for her, her family and friends and for ourselves. RIP Amber Kirwan(pictou county's little angel)

• MacD
    November 07, 2011 - 08:20

That is so sad. Her poor family! I am praying for her family. No family should have to go through such an ordeal!

• Kathy
    November 07, 2011 - 06:13

My love and prayers go out to Amber's mom, dad and brother, and to her friends who obviously loved Amber so much. I, like so many others, didn't personally know Amber, but her going missing hit me hard also, and the last four weeks I have been 'breathing' Amber, wondering where she was, and praying she was still alive and searching for any new word of her. This conclusion is tragic and so unbelievable. She was found just a km from my home!!! Until they find and arrest who did this to Amber, .I'm keeping my doors locked now even through the day which isn't something I felt I needed to do living here. I know this isn't the first time somebody in Pictou County has been murdered, and not the first time somebody went missing from here (remember the boy who went missing from Stellarton when he was just around 13/14 and they finally found his remains up around Burnside Park near Halifax many years later), but for some reason, maybe having daughters around that age myself, or because her friends made sure her missing was forefront every day, but I will never forget about this beautiful young girl who went missing in a ridiculously short walk two min down the road and that it ended so tragically. May her family and friends find comfort in each other and in knowing that she wasn't alone, that surely angels were with her and took her in their loving arms to guide her to her final home.

• J Bates
    November 07, 2011 - 04:48

The sadness is even felt in Wisconsin, USA Words can not be enough at this time of sorrow for the family!!

• elizabeth Page
    November 07, 2011 - 00:15

Elizabeth Fort Erie,Ontario my heart aches for amber and the mother and father ...I am sorry...

• Broken Heart
    November 06, 2011 - 22:49

Been following this tragedy from the beginning and it is sad to think someone or person(s) kept this information silent for their own reasons rather than respectfully stepping up immediately with helping Amber's family. Now the grieving for such a horrific crime and the loss of such a lovely daughter is the stage the family will face for a long, long time. To the family, please know Amber will always be with you with arms around you. The soul cannot be taken.

• heather ross
    November 06, 2011 - 21:52

My heart aches for this family. May God give them the guidance and strength to make it through this devastating time in their lives. I lost my son a few years ago in a terrible accident and know the sorrow of saying goodbye to your child. Please accept my deepest sympathy. heather

• cynthia meek
      November 07, 2011 - 09:29

My heart and soul aches aches for all that knew this intelligent, beautiful sweet soul, and to those who decided to play GOD and take her from us before her journey in life ended naturally, may you truly rot in prison . The police are working hard and I believe its a matter of time before they have the person or persons responsible, We cannot have a murderer on the loose.

• Donna Gault
    November 06, 2011 - 20:30

My heart is aching for the family and friends of this young girl.......May God hold her in his loving arms and may her family find some comfort in knowing that their search is over ......better than never knowing where she is ,,,,My prasyers are with you all

• minnie
    November 06, 2011 - 17:27

This is a terrible thing thats happened , which never should have and I pray for the person found and ththe family that has been suffering .no matter who it is and I hope anyone involved is .brought to justice alot quicker then it was to find this missing person....that's my opinion.

• ChrisStellarton
    November 06, 2011 - 09:41

What a sin

• Camerons
      November 06, 2011 - 14:50

All our Love and Sympathy To All Ambers Family, May God watch over you all

• robbie
      November 10, 2011 - 16:15

MY PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY,SUCH A CRIME LIKE THIS SADDENS ME.THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CRIME,MAY JUSTICE PREVAIL .....

• shannon
    November 05, 2011 - 22:27

my condolences if it is,,,,,,will be a closure to a family

• Someone from Pictou County
    November 05, 2011 - 22:19

Praying for her and her family, and for who ever has been found. May they now rest in peace.

• Prayers
    November 05, 2011 - 22:16

Prayers are with the family of this person who will now have closure ♥

• Ian Smith
      November 06, 2011 - 22:45

My prayers are with the family at this time. Just a thought as we think about "closure" when we have lost a loved one ... It has been said by someone I've met that "closure is for bank accounts; not for a love relationship." Perhaps the best we can do when we have lost a loved one is to weave this new reality into the tapestry of our lives. We will always know that the imperfection (the tragic loss of a loved one in this case) is there, but perhaps as we journey through it and with it, we will come to realize that it is not the whole story. Amber was, is, and always will be a rich part of her family's tapestry.

• Ashley Fennell
    November 05, 2011 - 20:20

Oh my nerves..my l0ve goes out to the family..g0d bless you all,xxo

• denise
      November 07, 2011 - 05:51

As a former resident, My family is praying for this family. We wish to express our very deepest sympathies.