Amber Kirwan still missing - UPDATE: Police widen search

Adam MacInnis

Boyfriend says he will search until she's found

UPDATE: Tuesday Oct. 12, 3:10 p.m. - New Glasgow Police have widened the perimeter of their search for Amber Kirwan to vacant buildings on the outskirts of the town. Const. Duane Rutledge of the New Glasgow Police Canine unit and Ekko searched the former Tibbets Paints building on Glass Street this afternoon.

–––––

UPDATE: NEW GLASGOW – Police are conducting a search on Glass Street around 2 p.m. for Amber Kirwan, but say no new information is available as of yet.

------

NEW GLASGOW – There is no new information on a missing Pictou County woman, who has not been seen since early Sunday morning.

Amber Kirwan, 19, left Dooly’s in New Glasgow around 1:30 a.m. on Sunday and headed towards Big Al’s to meet her boyfriend, but never arrived at her destination.

Police are changing their search tactics today, says Const. Ken MacDonald.

“We don’t have search and rescue today – the reason we had Ground Search and Rescue is because we had a large wooded area and we wanted to cover all our bases,” MacDonald said. “Today, we’re having our officers patrol, we have an extra compliment of officers on for this investigation. We’re going to be going door to door, looking in bus shelters, taxis, visiting neighbourhoods, buses, and we’ll go from there.”

------

Mason Campbell says he will not stop searching until his girlfriend Amber Kirwan is found.

Family and friends as well as dozens of other volunteers joined the New Glasgow Police Service Major Crime Unit, New Glasgow Fire Department, DNR and members of the Pictou County Volunteer Search and Rescue in the ongoing search for the 19-year-old Pictou County resident yesterday after news of her disappearance spread on Facebook and through news outlets.

Kirwan’s family reported her missing to police Sunday evening. She was last seen at Dooly’s New Glasgow at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning and has not been seen or heard from since that time. She was last seen wearing dark clothing.

Campbell said Kirwan called him from Dooly’s and asked him to pick her up. They agreed to meet at Big Al’s. When he got there though, she wasn’t there, so he tried calling the number she had called from but no one saw here there. He returned to Big Al’s but she was nowhere to be seen.

He said Kirwan took a cab into Dooly’s and he had planned to join her, but was unable to.

He said they've been getting some leads, but were told not to go public with any until the police can investigate.

He said friends and family will continue to search as long as it takes.

"We can't stop until she's found," he said. “If she's not found in a year, we're looking for a year.”

He was personally following up on leads and trying to recruit help.

"At this point it's all on me to find out where my girlfriend is," he said. "I've got to get her home."

Groups of people could be seen walking around town putting up missing person posters as a DNR helicopter buzzed above searching for the woman Monday afternoon.

Police and family say it is completely uncharacteristic for her to go anywhere without telling anyone.

"Our biggest concern from our investigation is this is out of her character," said New Glasgow Police Const. Ken MacDonald. "With that information in mind, we have increased our search and increased our efforts.

Police have been talking to local businesses, local neighbourhoods, taxi companies as well as family and friends about Kirwan but have not been able to locate her.

Police are asking for Kirwan or anyone with information about her whereabouts to contact New Glasgow Police Service, or Crime Stoppers anonymously anytime at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or by Secure Web Tips at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca.

Even people who do not know Kirwan, have been helping out with the search.

Evita Desmond said that someone came knocking at her door asking if she’d seen Kirwan. She quickly joined the search herself because as a mother she understands how awful it would be to have a missing child.”

Donna Gerrior has a daughter who went to school with Kirwan and said she is praying for the girl’s safe return.

“Hopefully it never happens again to anybody else,” she said.

A Facebook profile called "New Glasgow Police Services" is giving information about the search but MacDonald said it is not an official police page and that the department will be investigating who is responsible for the page.

The profile now has a note up saying: "this is not a police officer or a dispatcher etc when i made this page i didnt expect all the likes wich i do appreciate i really do i thank for that but i had thoughts of closeing it but when amber went missing i thought it would be a good idea to leave it up and help each other out to find her thats why its up and the updates i get are the ones i know or are the ones i see so lets keep searching and bring her home."

The site claims that Kirwan was spotted at the Needs around 9 p.m. in New Glasgow with a man yesterday, but MacDonald said there has been nothing confirmed although police are investigating rumours. He said they are going to many businesses to see if they have any video of the woman.

A Needs employee refused to comment about the woman’s disappearance. An employee of Dooly’s who was working the night Kirwan went missing, said that the woman was not kicked out of the establishment as some rumours have said. She said she didn’t remember seeing Kirwan, but there was only one woman kicked out and it wasn’t her.

Organizations: New Glasgow Police Service, Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: New Glasgow, Pictou County

Comments

Comments

• David
    October 25, 2011 - 08:44

I hope she comes home soon. i have been putting up posters all over the annapolis vally. if any one needs posters and staples copy center has posters to give out.

• rachel smith
    October 15, 2011 - 13:07

my heart goes out to the family i am a mother and would not be able to handle what your going through i don't know amber but i just hope to god she comes home safe and sound

• SusanDXB
    October 14, 2011 - 14:21

I went to high school + Uni in the Halifax area and my family all still lives there. I have been living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates for the past 5 years. But when I saw the poster on my facebook I was shocked, I couldn't imagin being abducted (god forbid) or worst. Really really really I wish that she just had some fight with her family or BF and went to blow off some steam... Only to discover people and police have been looking for her, she is afraid so she is laying low trying to figure a way to get out of this whole mess.(My theory @ least)... We all remember how it was @ that age every small thing appears to be the end of the world especially girls Oufff Drama I tell you... Anyways I am going now to post a flyer in the Tim Horton's Dubai branch (Yes we have it here) I hope the owner will allow. To show International prayer and Support for Amber and her safe return home... X

• Brandi
    October 13, 2011 - 20:02

Im willing to help in any way that I can , I live in Halifax and Iv seen posters and red up on Facebook , this is ridiculous and I hate to have to see anyone suffer, Let me know if there is ANYTHING i can do praying they find her.

• Megan
    October 12, 2011 - 14:26

Can we volunteer to help search?? Im from a close province and im shocked and utterly saddened to here of her case!!! We all need to work together to bring her home to her family and friends. The more people, the sooner we can all find her. I have never helped a search before but I cant think of a better way to start!! I Do not know any of her relatives or friends however if we all stop and think...what if this was my friend or family?? I will help anyone in need because I would want that help for me if I was the victim!!!!! Please message me if there is any way i can volunteer!!!

• NovaScotiansInAlberta
    October 11, 2011 - 22:14

Our thoughts and prayers are with those of you back home missing your loved one, and those of you helping in the search.

• Lisa K
    October 11, 2011 - 21:19

I really hope they find her soon,,it's so sad, praying for her return coming from Springhill NS.

• Melissa M
    October 11, 2011 - 19:33

we all hope and pray for Amber's safe return, both her and her family are in our thoughts and prayers, godspeed

• Jessica
    October 11, 2011 - 15:45

I've never met Amber, but i hope to god that she is brought home safe, nobody needs this kind of heart break.

• Anomyous
    October 11, 2011 - 14:45

I don't think the issue is regarding the "fake" facebook account or not, it is the fact that the people manning the account implied that it was being overseen by the NGPS and only when they were outed did they own up to the fact that it was not...but most importantly we need to ensure that we are getting our information from realiable sources...this is a precious situation; a young woman is missing...this is not the time nor the place to be staking one's 5 minutes of fame....lets all work together and bring Amber home safe and sound. I know from personal experience these are very trying times for her family and friends.

• Ashley Fennell
    October 11, 2011 - 14:40

Thinking about Miss Amber and her family..I sure hope god is watching over that poor beautiful young girl...I can't even put into words what to say to the family..God bless you all...everyone has their fingers crossed,may she return home safe!!xxo

• Wendy
    October 11, 2011 - 14:02

prayers to all involved, tfor search and rescue, police, volunteers and especially the family and friends of Amber in a time that is unthinkably painful . As a community we are stronger than playing the blame game. All efforts must be spent in finding her and bringing her home. Time for anger, and blame will always be there after she's home where she belongs. I know this community has an unending heart for one another and an unbreakable strength . I would bet that not one person cares about the facebook page if it helps to bring her home, or any other way she comes home. ALL THAT MATTERS, IS BRING AMBER HOME! Prayers again for the family, friends and all that search.

• A
    October 11, 2011 - 13:13

To the person who said One of her friends should have gone with her... Is it really necessary to put blame on her friends right now? Nobody expected something like this in NG. People always felt safe walking around, no one could have expected this in NG. There's no point in saying what could've been done differently... What's done is done.

• amc
      October 11, 2011 - 19:48

this really is no time to put blame on anyone i agree, but things like this happen all the time and it's a sad thing to see that it had to happen here, to a young lady who was loved by so many people... this is something parents and young people of my generation need to look at this and stress to there kids, and our friends that we need to be carful and look out for each other to possibly prevent something like this happening again, i just hope this will raise awareness in the small towns.

• Kyra Van Heighten
    October 11, 2011 - 12:38

I feel they should bring in the Cadet cores to help from all of PC and highlanders and also what ever other sources are around why not give the kids a day off school to help search more ppl the better chances of finding her!!!

• Erinn Graham
      October 11, 2011 - 13:07

As commendable as that sounds - and I believe if you can help you should....but I have a 12 yr old in Air Cadets.....I don't feel that any parent with children of this age would want them on the scene if this turns out to be all our worst fears. But having them assist with passing out posters and making people aware would be a good idea. Just don't include children in the searching!

• nancy
      October 11, 2011 - 14:08

Kyra,what is so special about the Cadets being brought in,in-experienced people only make matters worse,not help it-leave the cadets to the cadetting,leave the search to trained searchers.i think most of you are over reacting to a matter that may be cleared up before anything serious happens,young people run away all the time,hopefully this is just a misunderstanding youth who was led astray by her party going friends,it happens all the time to innocent people.

• Anon
      October 11, 2011 - 14:46

Uh, Cadets should N.O.T be brought into this. Cadets have no experience about anything. Yeah, they have more than most, but they aren't qualified in Police ways or anything to do with the law.... I should know this since I AM in Cadets.

• Amy
    October 11, 2011 - 11:05

facebook event page for Amber http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=187045654704578

• Amy
    October 11, 2011 - 11:02

this picture doesn't look a lot like her, there's pictures on facebook that are everday type pics and she looks different.........there's an event page for her........

• alan
    October 11, 2011 - 10:48

how do i help

• Jane Upham
    October 11, 2011 - 09:01

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Godspeed your safe return.

• just a by stander
    October 11, 2011 - 08:35

I dont personaly know the girl myself but I pray she is returned home safe and sound where she belongs !!! theres been a question running threw my mind send they said she was last seen at doolys with friends .... why didnt one of those girls or guys she was with stay with her until she was picked up ? yes i know they said to meet at big al's but couldnt have someone or more then someone went with her to wait ?

• Lee
      October 11, 2011 - 10:00

Why does that matter now? What matters now is Amber needs to be found.

• Jj
      October 11, 2011 - 10:21

Hindsight is 20/20 bystander and I'm sure her friends feel bad enough. This is a wake up call to all of the girls and guys that choose to be out late and I would imagine that from now on a "buddy system" will be in place between friends.

• Randy
    October 11, 2011 - 08:23

Pay for what? Making a fake Facebook account? Pretty sure that's not illegal.

• val
    October 10, 2011 - 19:20

Ihope and my prayers is that they find this young lady safe and sound .

• Joanne Reddick
    October 10, 2011 - 17:33

I hope this girl is found safe. I strongly believe the policing services will do their job and find this girl.

• tammie
      October 14, 2011 - 12:21

I sure hope and pray for her and her family to be found safe i'm a mother and i just could not even imagine what they are going through, our family is praying for amber to be found and safely returned home to her family.

• Lisa
    October 10, 2011 - 16:58

Do not give up Mason, bring her home. My thoughts are with the friends and family of Amber... I'm praying for a safe return home.

• JOANNE REDDICK
    October 10, 2011 - 14:25

well I hope whoever made that fake fb account claiming to be the police is punished. It is not cool at all to make something false at a time like this when something like this is so seriuos. And i was one to make a comment on there i will admit...well I hope the REAL POLICE make sure that idiot pays.

• Anomyous
      October 11, 2011 - 13:19

1...The user created the page before Amber went missing 2...It is not illegal to create a fake Facebook page 3...I believe the user had good intentions...providing updates they heard to people desperate for information....good intentions does not always equal a good idea however. Rumors DO spread like wild fire. 4 and most important - Let the police continue to do their job in helping to find Amber and not worry about those people bothered about seeing a fake account on Facebook *gasp* heaven forbid!