UPDATE: Police focus search near missing teen's Pictou Landing home

Staff ~ The News

UPDATE: 12:03 p.m. Oct. 17 – PICTOU LANDING – The main focus of Monday’s search for missing teen Amber Kirwan is the wooded area around her home, says Const. Ken MacDonald with New Glasgow Police Services.

Search and Rescue teams have completed the search of the Heathbell area and are now focusing their efforts in Pictou Landing.

MacDonald says there’s “not much I can divulge” about the outcome of the search in Heathbell.

Search and Rescue teams from Halifax, Colchester and Spring Hill are joining Pictou County Volunteer Ground Search and Rescue to search the area.

UPDATE: 8:51 a.m. Oct. 17 – NEW GLASGOW – Four Search and Rescue teams from around Nova Scotia will continue to search for Amber Kirwan today.

Teams from Pictou County will be joined by their counterparts in Halifax, Springhill and Colchester County. Currently, they are finishing a search near the Big Gut Bridge in Pictou Landing but other wooded and water areas of interest at various locations through the county will be searches.

Police are still urging people not to draw any conclusions when they notice police conducting searches throughout Pictou County, says Const. Ken MacDonald with New Glasgow Police Services.

Police also want to reinforce that information in relation to this case will be updated by police through police information press releases and not through social media sites.

Today, police investigation will also focus on following-up on tips and information and collecting possible items of interest provided by the public.

---------

NEW GLASGOW – The search for Amber Kirwan intensified as police focused in on two locations in the county this past weekend.

New Glasgow Police Services, which is now integrated its investigation with the RCMP, along with ground search and rescue teams, were set up at the Heathbell Road near Lyons Brook and Hidden Cove Road, Pictou Landing to conduct searches for evidence related to the 19-year-old missing woman’s case.

“Right now, there are search areas throughout the county and this is one of them,” Const. Ken MacDonald of the New Glasgow Police Service said Sunday afternoon in Heathbell. “The area of the Big Gut Bridge in Pictou Landing is another one. It’s basically that someone calls in information in the form of a tip and the information maybe that they’ve spotted some clothing in some areas.  Just like anything else, police have to check that out and confirm if anything is in relation to the case. That hasn’t been confirmed in any of the sites so far.”

Kirwan has been missing since Oct. 9th when she had left Doolys about 1:30 a.m. and started walking towards Big Al’s Convenience Store by herself to meet her boyfriend, Mason Campbell. However, Campbell says when he got there a short time later, she was nowhere to be found.

Police K-9 services were spotted at Heathbell Road Saturday searching in a wooded area that is known for its ATV trails. Pictou County ground search and rescue volunteers were at Heathbell Road early Sunday morning conducting an evidentiary search and they remained there throughout the day. An RCMP helicopter flew over both Heathbell and Pictou Landing many throughout the weekend.

In Pictou Landing, a command centre was set up on Hidden Cove Road, which is near Big Gut Bridge. RCMP divers were in the waters near the bridge while ground search and rescue teams were walking the shoreline and wooded area looking for evidence related to Kirwan’s case. The search was expected to end for the day at dusk.

MacDonald said both searches cover a large area and it takes time to do a “systematic investigation and search.”

The police officer cautioned the public about drawing conclusions about the case from the search sites.  “As has been the case during the week, investigators continue to conduct searches of wooded areas and water areas at various locations throughout Pictou County. Police urge the public not to draw any conclusions when they notice police conducting searches throughout Pictou County,”  MacDonald said.

Organizations: RCMP, New Glasgow Police Services, Convenience Store North End Recreation Centre TD Canada Trust for Amber New Glasgow Police Service and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: NEW GLASGOW, Heathbell Road, Hidden Cove Road Pictou County Lyons Brook Blue Acres Stellarton

Comments

Comments

• Susan Publicover
    October 18, 2011 - 23:29

ALWAYS thinking and Praying for Amber, her Family and Loved ones! Please God, comfort Amber, and keep her close...... till she comes home to her Family!

• Lorraine
    October 17, 2011 - 20:15

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I know what your going through and there are no words to discribe it. I hope and pray for her safe return. Im also a mother of a missing loved one. Stay strong.

• Cherie Atkinson
    October 17, 2011 - 17:12

I pray everyday for Amber,and that she is going to be safe and that her family will find her soon.My heart goes out to her mom and dad.

• paulette gear
    October 17, 2011 - 14:47

My thoughts and prayers are with Amber and her family. I hope and pray she is found safe and sound

• Tanya MacLennan
    October 17, 2011 - 14:16

My thoughts are with the family and friends of Amber. I live in Corner Brook NL and I am from New Glasgow. I think about her everyday and praying she will come home safe. My faith is alive and my candle is burning bright for her. I tilt my hat to all the people near and far who are doing what they can to bring her home safe. I wish I was there to help.

• Robyn
    October 17, 2011 - 13:51

I don't know Amber or her family either, but it affects everyone in the community....everyone is holding their children and loved ones a little tighter. It is getting more and more scarier as time goes by. I really hope they find her to put things at rest once and for all....God Bless the family in this absolutely devastating time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay strong.

• Kristy Dooley
    October 17, 2011 - 13:51

Everyday i am sure our county wakes up hoping for some news of Amber. Through out the day we look for updates. My heart goes out to the Kirwan family. I can not even imagine what they are going through. My porch light is on everynight in hopes that Amber is found soon. Thanks so much to all the S&R and police volunteers that are doing everything to bring her home safe. God Bless you all !

• flo hayden
    October 17, 2011 - 12:53

May God keep her safe and return her safely to her love ones.

• Lynne MacKenzie
    October 17, 2011 - 12:46

There can never be too many prayers for Amber Kirwin and her family. Everyone take a quiet moment to ask God to continue to give her family comfort and strength, to hold that dear little girl close to Him, to guide the searchers, and to bring her home. If anyone is asking where God is right now ; He is sending his love through the hundreds of friends, family, and total strangers that are searching, praying, holding vigils,raising money, distributing posters, and supporting Amber's family. Never doubt that He is there, and that His heart is breaking too. God Bless all of you!

• Sherry Fraser
    October 17, 2011 - 12:42

Keeping the Kirwan's in our thoughts and prayers. Hurry home safely Amber.

• Christina Xiros
    October 17, 2011 - 10:25

(all the way up in Toronto)My candle has been lit since day one.....may this nightmare end with tears of joy!!! God Bless!

• Tanya
    October 17, 2011 - 10:18

Praying for her safe and healtly homecoming, do not know this girl, but she and her family are in our family's thoughts and prayers.

• David Alderman
    October 17, 2011 - 08:41

My wife and I wish the Search and Rescue workers the best of luck in locating her safely. My fellow co-workers at Colchester Regional Hospital are hoping for Amber to appear healthy and alive.

• Abby
      October 17, 2011 - 15:41

Amber please come home.... we need you!!!!!! I am praying really hard for us to find you safe!!!!