RCMP continue search for Amber Kirwan in Pictou Landing area

Search continues

PICTOU LANDING – The RCMP Underwater Recovery Team will be back in the Pictou Landing area today, says New Glasgow Police Const. Ken MacDonald.

Police have been searching for missing 19-year-old, Amber Kirwan, who disappeared on Oct. 9th.

No ground search and rescue is anticipated today, he added.

The divers have been on the scene for most of the week.

“The reason for it is that this is one of the areas we’re searching as part of the investigation,” MacDonald said. “This area involves water and, because ground search doesn’t go into waterways and there are waterways, tributaries and streams in the area, we have to get the RCMP dive team in.”

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Pictou Landing

Comments

Comments

• pictou landing resident
    October 19, 2011 - 19:13

The Big Gut area is part of the East River. This area is both fresh water and salt water. Once it passes here it flows out to Pictou Harbour eventually.

• William
    October 19, 2011 - 14:56

The reason they are searching that area in my opinion is twofold. One, it is handy where she lived, and two that area is where most bodies end up because of the currents. That being said and as horrible as it is to think this, searchers have to assume the worst and search wooded areas and rivers to rule them out. The fact that they have not found her has it's positive side in that she may still be alive. Hopefully this will have a happy ending, that is all anyone can hope for.

• anita
    October 19, 2011 - 14:51

my heart goes out to everyone involved with this search this has to be taking its toll on them !!! I hope for everyone including Amber and her family this is over soon (today)....

• Kathy Savoury
      October 19, 2011 - 21:29

I hope in the end it's all good news.I feel so bad for everyone..especially her family.I cannot imagine what they are going through.I don't know this beautiful young girl...but it's on my mind at all times.I rush to the TV hoping to hear good news.Keep up the good work in searching for Amber....thinking about you all. Kathy from Newfoundland

• Jayme L.
    October 19, 2011 - 14:19

This is also my "home town", I grew up in Park falls but spent a lot of time in N G in my younger days, I was home today for the first time in a while and saw all of the posters of Amber, I have been following her story online, hope she comes home soon and see what a great place that she is from, and how much she is loved by NG and beyond....

• DMC
    October 19, 2011 - 14:10

If the police searched every water way in PC it would take an incredibly long period of time. They are searching the Pictou Landing waterways close to her home because they have information that we as the general public do not. We have to remember the RCMP and NG Police are conducting the investigation and speculation and suggestions from the public to "help" does not help. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to find her and everyone wishes she is returned home soon. Prayers and thoughts are with her family.

• Amy Campbell
    October 19, 2011 - 11:20

This is my home town! I have never heard or come across this before in this little town. Why is the search not being conducted in the East River? The East River is right behind Big Al's and it will wash anything out to the Atlantic. My mom mentioned that she waited on her at Home Depot and she is the sweetest thing so it would not be her personality to disappear. I reallyy hope you find her and find out what happend.

• Krista
      October 19, 2011 - 13:20

they did check the east river... took them a few days... they been looking all over the place.... i hope she is ok somewhere and comes home soon.. :(