Parents make plea for Amber Kirwan's safe return

UPDATED: Nov. 1, 1:25 p.m. The parents of Amber Kirwan made a public plea for the safe return of their daughter who disappeared from downtown New Glasgow three weeks ago.

Marjorie Kirwan described her daughter as “sweet and innocent” who would make regular contact with her parents and was close to younger brother, Liam.

“Amber’s family, boyfriend and friends mean the world to her,” she said. “She was very protective of her brother.”

She said they are “praying that any day she will be home”.

Kirwan asked that any one with any information about her daughter’s disappearance, big or small, contact the police right away.

More details will be available in Wednesday’s paper.

------

NEW GLASGOW – A public statement will be made today about missing teenager Amber Kirwan.

New Glasgow Police Service stated in a media release on Monday night that police and Kirwan’s parents will release a public statement about the 19-year-old’s disappearance this afternoon.

Organizations: New Glasgow Police Service

Geographic location: NEW GLASGOW

Comments

Comments

• A Parent.
    November 06, 2011 - 12:40

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Kirwan family today, for weeks now i have come home from work and sat at my computer checking to see if there were any updates . There were nights when i would just sit here and cry for her and her family . May she rest in peace,and god bless her family and friends ,she may be gone but she will never be forgotten . RIP AMBER KIRWAN.

• Concerned parent
    November 01, 2011 - 18:12

This family is obviously in complete pain.Pictou County needs to stop bickering with each other and posting so much garbage.Stop trying to play detective.Put all your energy Pictou County and show this family that we feel there pain.Keep Ambers face circulating in every way and keep talking about here to keep the case fresh.Report anything suspicious no matter how small you think it may be.Hearts are breaking for this family.The pain in this mom and dads face is hard to watch.Show support Pictou County. Send positive thoughts and prayers their way. Praying that Amber returns soon and is safe and sound to end their pain.

• Good old pictou county
    November 01, 2011 - 16:45

I actually wondered the same thing as Dennis; not because I wanted to see anguish on the faces of Ambers poor parents, or because I wanted to hear the desperation in their voice; but because as a parent my heart aches for them and I was praying they may have even a hint as to the whereabouts of their daughter. As a community I think majority of people in Pictou County are waiting impatiently for this nightmare to end. The very young to the very old now know the name Amber Kirwan; she's become a part of every family in Pictou County and we share in the worry; fear; and heartbreak with each day she doesn't return home. I'm sure 5ennis's anticipation of hearing what Ambers parents had to say was a common feeling thhrough out our county today.

• DENNIS RYAN
    November 01, 2011 - 16:11

I thank those who came to my defense although based on the comments of certain ..., there was really no need. An early morning ng news report stated that the NG Police and the parents would be making a public announcement in the afternoon. Of course I have been following Pictou County News for many years through the online edition of the paper. Like most, I would like to hear a good news story relating to both the recent tradgedies in the County. I am now relocated to the county and am interested in what if any coverage given to these stories. I have no interest in looking into the pain on the faces of any of the Parents faces , only hoping that the announcement may have brought them some degree of relief. i do pray for both families. Although I do not know the Kirwan family, I have a daughter and would not want to face a similar issue with respect to her. ... Friend, thank you for your kind remarks. WJF RIGHT ON! The important thing is that Ms. Kirwan returns home to those who love her and whom she loves. I keep my eyes open every time I leave home in hopes that I might spot her and encourage her to contact her family. Ask a simple question,,,,,,,

• friens of dennis
    November 01, 2011 - 14:34

Dennis I know you and where your heart and mind is so please do not take any kind of offence at Mr.Facey`s remark which to me is not well though out. my heart goes out to the Kirwan family is this most trying of times for them. Every time I see a poster of Amber I say a silent prayer for her and her safe return.

• nler
    November 01, 2011 - 13:04

it was via live stream on cbc.ca. my heart goes out to amber's family. hoping for her safe return. clearly you missed the point of her parents speaking out to the public mr. facey. someone out there knows where amber is. so don't you think perhaps if this someone sees the pain, and hurt in her family's eyes - while they talk about their wonderful daughter - they might come forward? that they will see what losing her is doing to them? that they might "man up"? if someone you loved is missing, wouldn't you be pleading with the public to help bring them back safely? if you can't understand this, then you are the one who has no heart.

• friend of Dennis
    November 01, 2011 - 13:03

Mr.Ryan lives in Ontario and tries to keep up on affairs and he would be the last person who I would refer to as sick. He is a true gentleman and would be concerned for the young lady and somehow seeing the people make their presentation in person would be a more powerful way to put their appeal before the public. To my may of thinking it would raise the sensitivity of people who may have knowledge of the young ladies location. As the Bible says" judge not lest yee be judged".

• Nancy Stewart
    November 01, 2011 - 12:57

To Amber's family - pls know that you and Amber are in the thoughts and prayers of so many people. I can't imagine what emotions you are experiencing...just please so many of us are thinking of you.

• boo bee
    November 01, 2011 - 12:50

I think at the time Dennis wrote his post there was no comment on the subject of the media release. it could have been a statement about anything.

• charles facey
    November 01, 2011 - 11:21

have we become that insensetive that someone wants to view the anguish of this poor family on the boob tube. some people can't seem to get enough out of their shallow existance so it becomes mecessary to view the sorrow of others. sick or what

• WJF
      November 01, 2011 - 13:09

Charles, I am pretty sure that the person wanting to know if there was coverage is because they are concerned and wanting to keep up to date. Also, if this media release was of importance to the public in order to help find this young girl, would you not want to know where to get coverage? Time to get out of your own little bubble and look at things from a more positive outlook.

• DENNIS RYAN
    November 01, 2011 - 09:00

Will this event be covered by east coast FM 94.1 or, will it be televised?