A Hopewell man claims he made a startling discovery in a box of cookies last week.
Mike McGill, says he routinely buys Dare oatmeal cookies for his dog and was getting a couple out last Friday when he felt something unusual.
When he looked in he said he was shocked to find a condom.
“It's just the grossest thing that ever happened,” he said.
He took pictures and removed the object from the box using a pair of needle nose pliers.
“It didn’t look like it was used,” he said.
Still the discovery has left him wondering how something like this could happen. He said the box itself was sealed, but the plastic inside had been opened.
He called the company, which sent a courier to pick it up and take it away for DNA testing.
McGill said he was told by the company that it is unlikely anyone at their plant would have put it there. He said he got the impression they thought he was making it all up, but he swears he’s not.
“I’m not doing it for the money,” he said.
Kathy Khamis, of Ketchum Public Relations, which handles Dare’s Public Relations, confirmed the company is investigating the matter.
She said from talking to the managers of the company, the likelihood of a condom getting into a box of cookies is next to impossible.
She said from the time the cookies are baked the system is very automated and employees don’t have access to most parts.
“The conveyor belt itself is not easily accessible to employees,” she said.
Employees in the plant aren’t even permitted to have pockets.
She said this is a first for the company, but something they are investigating seriously.
McGill for his part said he’s thankful that he had only given a couple of the cookies to his dog and that he never ate any himself.