Pat Dunn to run for Conservatives in Pictou Centre next election

PC Party Leader Jamie Baillie and Pictou Centre PC candidate Pat Dunn chat with party supporters at Dunn’s official nomination Tuesday evening. AMY MACKENZIE – THE NEWS

STELLARTON – Pat Dunn secured the Progressive Conservative nomination for the riding of Pictou Centre Tuesday evening. Dunn was nominated at an event with PC Party leader Jamie Baillie and over 200 supporters at the Museum of Industry.

Dunn, who represented the riding from 2006 to 2009, said he decided to offer to run in the upcoming election because he loves politics.

“I had intentions to run moments after the last election. I’ve been preparing ever since,” he said.

Dunn added he intends on taking back the riding of Pictou Centre by working hard, meeting with constituents and good policy.

“I strongly believe that we have a very strong platform and I think when people digest what we are offering, then I’m sure we’ll be very successful.”

PC Party Leader Jamie Baillie said he supports Dunn’s nomination because he is an experienced politician and educator.

“I intend that we are going to win the next election and we’re going to need experienced people like Pat Dunn to help us run the province,” he said.

Baillie said the PC Party plans on taking back Nova Scotia in the upcoming election by having good candidates and a policy of financial turnaround.

“Our policy, lower taxes, stop wasteful government spending, more jobs, is designed to turn the economy of Nova Scotia around and rebuild it from the ground up,” Baillie said.

Organizations: Pictou Centre, PC Party, Conservatives Museum of Industry.Dunn

Geographic location: Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• Harold Teed
    January 30, 2013 - 20:40

Best of luck Pat Dunn. I think pictou county now has 3 excellent candidates in place.

• Don Taylor
    January 30, 2013 - 15:10

It’s enough to make to make a “cat laugh” and if it wasn’t so serious … it would be funny!! Obviously some people like to sit in the shadows and snip at those to have the nerve to stand and fight for what they believe is “doing the right thing”. Doing the right thing, is not an easy thing to do because the decisions often have a cascading effect that impacts other sides of each issue. Clear strategic planning is the ticket but with a proactive approach, not reactive. Every Fireman in the county will tell you the best way to fight a fire is through “Fire prevention” because once the fire has started, it’s all about minimizing the damage! Politics is no different and if anything, far more widespread in its impact on you and I. The current NDP government struggles with good long term decision making, at first I thought it was simply inexperience but I’ve see no positive change to date, the Liberals … well they just don’t have anyone. So, for me, that leaves the PC Party as the best choice, Pat Dunn for Pictou Centre I find to be trustworthy, hardworking and intelligent and Jamie Baillie seems to be forward thinking, a great tactician with a new approach for short, mid and long term goals. After all, we need a Province with a future so that our children and grandchildren have a reason to stay.

• watchdog
    January 30, 2013 - 11:25

A good accountant now there is something rally catchy to cling on to. I wonder if John Doe remembers the name Arthur Anderson? I bet not but just to let me doe know who he was, remember the accounting firm for Enron who hid all the real financial facts that bilked people out of tens of millions of dollars. Our present Prime Minister is an economist. Dont hang your hat on any one in the financial world as being a saviour from economic peril.

• John Doe
    January 30, 2013 - 10:42

.... Anybody who thinks that Ross did a good job as an MLA needs to take a second look. Highest taxes, highest power rates, losing jobs, and overall highest prices. No more NDP/LIBERAL (They're the same party now, both are dead set against scraping the gold plated MLA pensions and the rest of Baillies ideas) we need a good accountant to turn this ship around! I voted NDP last time and I will never vote NDP again!

• Larrivee
    January 30, 2013 - 10:02

Sorry but it just seems Dunn is always following someone and having his hand held. Be it Peter McKay or Jamie Bailey it just seems that way. As Tim Rhude states below the Province was put in a nasty hole financially by the previous PC Governments. Would hate to have seen where we would be today if they had kept office. Yup another school teacher running is a bit of a yawn. Will be interesting to see who the Liberals offer up, if anybody :-)

• NGvoter
    January 30, 2013 - 09:35

The last election I voted NDP for the first time as they promised to 'Make life easier for everyday families' Well they raised the HST, power rates seem to be jacked up daily and just last week the NDP sit back and let their crown corp take a small business in our community to court over competition ( Wine and Water) ... I was fooled once and voted NDP, never again. Best of luck Pat!

• Johnny smoke
    January 30, 2013 - 08:14

The 3 "R"'s reuse, recycle, redundant. I was really hoping that the Tories would come up with a new and exciting candidate for Pictou Center. No such luck, back to the drawing boards, back to the ex civil servant, school teacher candidate, they are as dull as the present ex civil servant ex R.C.M.P.representative that we have now. Oh well there is always the Liberals maybe they will surprise us, that is if there are not more ex civil service type double dippers awaiting to be nominated.

• watchdog
    January 30, 2013 - 07:58

I guess you are reducing waste by recycling candadates. I am older but still remember the last PC government in the province. Look back to when the government of Donald Cameron gave away the assets of Nova Scotia Power to private investors and what that did for jobs in the province. Conservative and constipation both have twelve letters and with either one nothing moves. Talking about saving money, Jamie Baillie is spending money advertising even before the election is called, keep your powder dry Mr Baillie. Secondly we already have to many political ads on the air and in written form. We have not had a decent PC government since Robert L Standfield and even then it was tough times.

• Denins Ryan
    January 30, 2013 - 07:11

Pat: Wishing every bit of success in re-taking Pictou Centre. I feel that change is in the air across the province.

• Tim Rhude
    January 29, 2013 - 22:53

Just the other day the police announced that they had made a major drug bust - seizing large amounts of bath salts. Looks like some of that product must have made it's way to this nomination meeting. Turn are economy around! How sell of another crown corporation just like they did to NSP - that really helped! Maybe they will give NSLC to Sobey's - that is JB's plan - loss of 100s of good paying jobs and major source of tax revenue. Oh I know they will pave the rest of the dirt roads in the province to finish off what Buchanan started. Cutting taxes = user fees. we need major taxation reform! We are doing just fine with the present government, climbing out of the hole that the PC's left us in will take along time and a steady hand.