Take it as a sign

Amy MacKenzie

Debbie VanSickle and Carolyn Delorey stand in front of their new business YOLO Marketing and its digital rotating ad machine located at the intersection of Stellarton and Westville Roads in New Glasgow.

NEW GLASGOW – While passing through the intersection between Stellarton and Westville roads, drivers may have noticed a new addition to the area – a large, cylinder, digital rotating ad machine sitting on a concrete base in front of The Modern Barber.

The sign is owned and operated by a new marketing company, YOLO Marketing, which operates out of The Modern Barber building at the corner of Stellarton and Westville Roads in New Glasgow.

Co-owners of YOLO Marketing, Carolyn Delorey and Debbie VanSickle, started up the company over the last few weeks and have hired two employees, a graphic designer and technology specialist.

The rotating digital ad machine was imported from Taiwan and Delorey said it’s the only one of its kind in North America.

It sits on a concrete base, is controlled by its own computer system inside the company’s office, has 14 million pixels and over a million colours programmed.

Check back for more on this new sign later today and in tomorrow's paper.

Organizations: YOLO Marketing

Geographic location: NEW GLASGOW, Stellarton, Westville Taiwan North America

Comments

Comments

• Cyndi
    February 07, 2013 - 17:12

Congrats Deb and Carolyn! Marvelous idea....a nicely added sparkle to the town! All the best and looking forward to seeing it in action!

• Becki Henderson
    February 05, 2013 - 15:13

Love the idea and the inventive way people come up with marketing tools. For those who are worried about it causing accidents I think YOU should keep your eyes on the road. For those who can drive and observe at the same time there are multiple reasons why that is a perfect location for this type of marketing: there is a traffic light system there so you have a captive audience, it is central, and you are at a major 3-way stop, all great reasons why it is a prime spot for advertisers who will get their moneys worth. Congratulations ladies and Good Luck with your new adventure.

• UNBELIEVABLE
    February 05, 2013 - 14:43

Unbelievable the negative attitudes of people that live in our town. If you don't like modern technology or anyone trying to create employment for themselves, then why don't you move to the Arctic where no body knows you and you can't see anyone for miles.....that is where you people should live.....so get out of town if you can't take it.

• Aaron
    February 05, 2013 - 13:56

It's not that hard to just not look at and pay attention to the road, which you should be doing anyway. What is wrong with the people in this town?

• mary
    February 05, 2013 - 11:49

I agree that its going to cause accidents. Its a distraction and I didn''t like it either

• Bill
    February 02, 2013 - 14:16

I for one support local businesses! We should be happy that someone is taking a chance in our small town...most modern businesses move to the "city". Why not keep our dollars circulating in our town. These ladies will be putting money into our community and with any luck in the future have the means to hire more. Plus I am sure someone complained when the stops signs turned into traffic lights the confusion that must have casued with the horse drawn buggies! The town isn't that big we will all be use to it in a week or so just keep your eyes on the road and slow down! I am sure to have permission to place it there; there was more than enough red tape that these ladies had to get through. Great job hope the next story is about you expanding. Cheers!

• Simshaddy
    February 01, 2013 - 15:06

Wonderful to see something new and modern in New Glasgow. Looks to be a great idea. Not only is this new company going to be a winner, in my opinion, but so is the first business who will advertise on this sign. Good luck to you ladies! You Only Live Once!

• Simshaddy
    February 01, 2013 - 15:00

Wonderful to see something new and modern in New Glasgow. Looks to be a great idea. Not only is this new company a winner but so is the first business who will try it. Good luck to you ladies!

• Moral Compass
    February 01, 2013 - 13:24

Most municipalities have a bylaw that prohibits off-premise signage - meaning businesses cannot advertise with signage on a lot that is not the location of the business to which they are advertising ... not sure how they got away with this one.

• Tizzle
      February 03, 2013 - 11:18

"Most municipalities have a bylaw that prohibits off-premise signage" Is New Glasgow one of them? Because the laws of "most municipalities" don't apply to all....... Logic.

• JAMES
    January 31, 2013 - 17:18

By no marketing logic is this a good means of advertising. Just because a product has some "high tech" features to it doesn't make a modern and trendy way to advertise especially in a town of less than 10 000 people. What an eyesore!

• traffic
    January 31, 2013 - 14:54

Debbie/FLIB, if this sign causes you anxiety when driving, you must be one of the people highlighted in a previous NG News article who don't understand basic traffic laws. If this sign causes accidents, it's not the signs fault! It is and always will be the drivers fault!

• flib
      February 01, 2013 - 07:47

what does understanding traffic laws have to do with a distraction to motorists? I never said it caused me anxiety, I'm not one to pay attention to marketing and advertising anyway so I'll just ignore the thing.

• scott
    January 31, 2013 - 14:46

To those thinking it will cause accidents give your head a shake. Think of times square in new york, or vegas, etc.etc. There are many flashy ads all over the world. If one new flashy sign puts you off the road you should not have been there to start with. Best of luck to this new company. It is nice to see some modern progression happening.

• janet
    January 31, 2013 - 14:01

My husband and I drove bye last night. What a great idea. Well done ladies and wish you great success!

• Sadie Mac
    January 31, 2013 - 13:42

What a shocker...negativity in Pictou County! I like it...I too think it looks modern and am quite happy to know that our little town is the first place in North America to have this technology! Bravo to you two girls for taking a chance on our town! Best of luck and look forward to reading the ads!

• concerned
    January 31, 2013 - 13:35

I agree with the other posters...great concept...wrong placement...rather distracting at such a busy intersection.

• Debbie
    January 31, 2013 - 11:36

Sorry to say but I think it's going to cause some accidents. Drove by the other night and didn't know it was there, It caught me off guard because I seen a bright flash of light and thought it was an emergency vechicle. Just don't think it's a safe place to be.

• flib
    January 31, 2013 - 11:31

I didn't like it when I drove through there at night and they had some sort of test pattern going, as I approached the intersection coming from the direction of Quality Cleaners I thought there was an accident and the flashing was emergency vehicles. I could not believe my eyes when I seen it, they are lucky there were no accidents caused by the distraction of having a huge flashing beacon located close to a busy intersection. Not as bad now that they have actual ad's on it but I still see this as a major distraction for drivers.

• Townie
    January 31, 2013 - 10:39

I love this marketing idea!!! how modern and trendy!!!! best of luck to both of you ladies!!!!!