Starbucks feeling out New Glasgow market

Christopher Cameron

New Glasgow Starbuck's Job Posting

NEW GLASGOW – Since a job posting was posted for New Glasgow on the Starbucks website earlier this week many questions have been up in the air including where will it go and when will it open?

Friday afternoon Starbucks spokesperson Carly Suppa said the company is seriously looking at opening a location in New Glasgow, but it’s too early to tell if they will.

When asked about the job posting for a New Glasgow store manager on their website she said it’s common for the company to look for what she referred to as “partners” in the area or employees.

“In general it means that we’re looking at the area really seriously,” said Suppa concerning the job posting. “That’s really the reason we’re looking at hiring partners (employees) and starting some conversations because we’re hopeful that if we can get something sealed that we’d be able to start and do something quickly.”

Suppa said she was unable to comment on when the company would know more about a location opening in New Glasgow. She said it will likely depend on feedback from the community surrounding the job posting and “talent in the area.”

Organizations: Starbucks

Geographic location: New Glasgow

Comments

Comments

• Bren
    March 05, 2013 - 19:06

Beyond excited! I am not a fan of Tim's coffee, and if Starbucks came to our area I wouldn't have to find so many excuses to go to Halifax andDartmouth! I love their frappacino's. It's so nice to have a drink custom made for you whether you want low fat, sugar free, extra syrup, no whip etc. etc.

• Sherry
    February 12, 2013 - 13:41

Finally a decent Chai Latte!!!! A Starbucks would be awesome. It would be nice to have another choice for coffee lovers.

• jack
    February 10, 2013 - 14:54

In the city I live Starbucks is popular but that's because the sheeple go there because they think they are expected to this all in the name of appearing cool. The most common complaints I hear about Starbucks is the coffee tastes like it is slightly burnt and the price can be out of this world.

• coffeexx
    February 10, 2013 - 07:51

A little competition for Tim Hortons will be good the other local spots make good coffee but let's face it their hours suck and so do the locations. Bring on Srarbucks.

• Meghan
    February 09, 2013 - 08:52

I would personally be disappointed to see Starbucks in Pictou County, it's not something we need. If you're looking for something different than Tim's, why not try one of the many local coffee shops in the area, like Baked or Carvers. Let's support local businesses instead of multi million dollar companies.

• javalover
    February 08, 2013 - 22:59

Finally! With so much variety, they can offer something completely different from Tim‘s!:)

• Pictou Co. Resident
    February 08, 2013 - 18:33

Starbucks in Pictou Co. Yes please. Let's hope Municipal government supports this??? We need new businesses to come here, instead of existing businesses re-locating to other areas of the county! Get it done!

• ILOVECOFFEE
    February 08, 2013 - 17:56

Welfare cheques and Starbucks don't really mix. Also, Why would we put a Starbucks in Canada's WORSE city?!?!

• Answer is simple
      February 09, 2013 - 05:53

Dah! ... So it could help in moving up to second or third worst!! Not all people in Picou County are on welfare and live at Tim Horton. Some actually like Starbucks and don't mind paying the extra coin for a Venti. .

• Haha
      April 26, 2013 - 14:13

That would be worst not worse. Canada's Worst City. No wonder.

• CoffeeAddict
    February 08, 2013 - 17:31

Finally! Somewhere I can put my arts degree from St. FX to work!

• RE Coffee
      February 08, 2013 - 23:02

Who in their right mind would get an arts degree at St.FX and move to a small town EXPECTING to find a job in their field?? The more businesses that come to Pictou County the better for everyone! This will create jobs, competitive salary with Tim Hortons, and stimulation to the local economy. If you want to find a job in your field move to the city, where those jobs exist.

• duh
      February 10, 2013 - 09:41

obviously there is some sarcasm here. Something tells me this is Hipster from the other starbucks news page... Coffeeaddict, thanks for the laugh.

• Francis
    February 08, 2013 - 16:37

I am sure they will do well Starbucks offers more specialty coffee's than Tim's and its worth the extra money and larger sizes with much better plastic covers.

• Dusty
    February 08, 2013 - 16:32

I for one would welcome them to the area, contrary to popular belief not everyone is a Tim Horton's fan.

• fred
      February 08, 2013 - 17:24

dusty I never drink tim hortons either. for local I drink coffee from the coffee bean and if I go to a big franchise Macdonalds is OK. I just find starbucks pricey and bitter tasting. just my opinion

• fred
    February 08, 2013 - 16:11

not too sure how well they would do here. Their coffee and other drinks are very expensive. I can see them in cities but in our area I think Tim Hortons will crush them.