Demolition

Demolition of the stone house on the site of the former Farmer Clem's property is underway this afternoon.

The building was demolished by Marinus Verhagen Enterprises.

The home was built by MacLellans out of stones that are believed came from Scotland.

Local historian John Ashton had attempted to talk with the owner of the building and said he did not believe it was going to be torn down so soon.

Comments

Comments

• bruno
    February 26, 2013 - 13:40

oh come on people l you never want a change and i bet you want the maritime building to stay also.the building was falling down for years .time for it to go this time next year you will not even noticed it is gone.

• Matt
    February 25, 2013 - 16:37

Why is it being demolished? I don't know if the owner has noticed but there are enough vacant lots in the NG area.

• Saddened
    February 25, 2013 - 16:06

So sad that so much of our history is being destroyed. Just glad that I have a plate with a picture of the house on it that was painted by Danny Munro. The gardens were so nice to see in the summer, now all you see from the TC is a torn up yard with mounds of dirt. SAD,SAD,SAD.

• Just me
    February 25, 2013 - 15:33

Yes I agree this is disgusting, but I'm thinking this has changed ownership since Farmer Clems operated here, I think if I'm right you'd be interested to know who now owns this buidling

• Betterment is not always bad
    February 25, 2013 - 15:12

My question for disgusted is what was the building being used for? Yes, I admit it was a beautiful home, but what purpose was it serving, and what purpose could it have been used for? Heritage is indeed very important, and destroying something is not always the best choice, but if we keep things just because they look nice or have been there forever, nothing ever changes. People leave Pictou County everyday because there is nothing there to hold them. Nothing wants to come to Pictou County because they are afraid they will not be able to do what they need to in order to thrive and provide jobs/economic benefits to the area. Let's find a balance and make the county a much more attractive place for investors.

• Robert Rogers
    February 25, 2013 - 15:00

This is nothing short of criminal. To think that only a few short years ago, this property was a showcase where countless Pictonians went for wedding photos and of all proprietors a so-called farmer would come to open a garden centre and leave the whole area a garbage dump!!!

• disgusted.
    February 25, 2013 - 14:18

Heart broken and pissed off! I can not believe my eye! Over the past couple years our heritage is being demolished and and buried and the big shots see dollar signs and not the hard work and dedication our ancestors put into creating our beautiful county! Shame on you!