MacLaughlin mania

Christopher Cameron

Hundreds show up to welcome Big Brother Canada winner home

NEW GLASGOW – “It’s the craziest thing in the world and I didn’t expect this at all because we used to joke in the house saying only our parents would be watching the show, so the fact that it’s so popular is amazing and the support has been awesome.”

-- CLICK HERE TO VIEW PHOTO GALLERY --

New Glasgow’s Jillian MacLaughlin was blown away by the support she received Sunday night as she was welcomed home after winning the first ever Big Brother Canada last week. Saturday night she flew into Halifax, but didn’t return to New Glasgow until yesterday, where she was welcomed by family and friends, before a parade through downtown New Glasgow.

The parade ended at Glasgow Square where she was welcomed by hundreds of fans cheering her on and looking for pictures and autographs of Pictou County’s newest celebrity. Emmett Blois, MacLaughlin’s ally on the show, was also with her. She said everything is still surreal and hasn’t sunk in yet.

“It’s pretty crazy and it hasn’t sunk in that I’m the first win of Big Brother Canada ever,” she said. “It means a lot and I think it’s going to go down in history. I’m a girl too, so I’m pumped. I wanted a girl to win it from the beginning. I said ‘girl power’.”

Her win last week did come with some controversy surrounding the voting process as Topaz Brady, an evicted houseguest who was on the jury, put her hand in the air when host Arisa Cox read out that she had voted for MacLaughlin and proceeded toprotest. Cox said the voting rules were clearly stated and video evidence was played to show that Brady had in fact voted for MacLaughlin. With Brady’s vote, MacLaughlin secured enough votes to win.

MacLaughlin said she couldn’t comment on the show at this point because of the contract the contestants have with the show, but she said she has heard through family and friends that negative things are being said. She said none of it is bothering her and that she’s focusing on the positives.

“Before I went in it was top secret and I had to lie to my family and tell them I was going on a trip, so I really didn’t have much support before,” said MacLaughlin. “Now that I’m home, family and friends have been so supportive. I haven’t looked at anything on the Internet that’s out there; I’ve heard there has been a lot of negative stuff out there, but the support from friends and family via Facebook and all that has meant the world to me. I’m just going to focus on the positive support.”

She said the whole process has been a blur to her, saying she never expected to get selected for the show to begin with. After being selected she definitely didn’t believe she would win.

“When I applied for this show, I didn’t even expect to get an interview,” she said. “I just went up to Halifax for my 30 second interview and after I found out I was on the show I was blown away and thought there was no way I could win this. My only goal going into it was not to be the first person evicted and after that I just kept setting weekly goals.”

christopher.cameron@ngnews.ca

On Twitter: @NGNewsChris

Geographic location: NEW GLASGOW, Halifax, Glasgow Square Pictou County

Comments

Comments

• Townie
    May 10, 2013 - 13:28

When something good happens to someone else in this town, the cyber bullies are out in full force!! What an embarrassment!! for goodness sakes, we teach our children not to bully but yet all you negative comment bullies probably have children! you should all be ashamed of yourselves!! PS! Proud of you Jillian...you go girl!!!!!!!

• jack
    May 08, 2013 - 23:18

What is quite funny is that there are DOZENS of comments on this story yet when something important happens in Pictou County, quite often the online comments is as silent as a church in the middle of the night. It sure shows where people's priorities are, huh? Regardless, congratulations to the winner!

• Dial it down a notch
    May 08, 2013 - 13:17

First off, congrats to her for $100k is nothing to sneeze at. I am not jealous of her windfall or her beauty, honestly, I wish her the best. But this praise for being a role model is a bit over the top. I partly agree with some of the comments which have been pegged as negative- however some are down right rude -but others seemed based on common sense & values. I am not sure if we should tout anyone a role model - no matter their gender - if they won a game based on their ability to lie and forge fake alliances. Yes, it is only a game, and I am sure not a complete reflection of the true person...but here we have a community that has allowed their children to watch an adult show, and along with town officials, parade her as a positive role model (and in all fairness it is others that have labelled her this, not her). I think we should be happy for her but careful that we don't give young children the wrong message. I am not being a hypocrite, my daughter wouldn't know who "Jillian" is, or why she won a lot of money, if you asked her.

• First time BB Watcher
    May 08, 2013 - 09:21

Great Comment from "Way to Go Jill"; I was so thinking the same about "lessonlearned" a person who calls themself a teacher and commenting in this manner is being hyprocrital for it is ovious this person is a BB fan and know the show portrays the plot of scheming & manipulation but it certainly does not portray the actual everyday character of the contestants, if so we'd not like any of them as they all lied, manipulated, etc. to go further in the game (and "yes" even your thought to be good "role model" Gary who also lied, cheated, etc ); seeing many personal comments on sites for all contestants and for the most part these individuals are very well rounded, successful & talented who were chosen to play a game on live TV and given the opportunity to do the same and possibly win $100,000.oo you know you would; give credit where credit is due...our 3 very deserving NS contestants made it to the being the last 4 before BBC brought one back, congrats to them. This was my first time ever watching BB and only did so to support the 3 from our own NS and may never watch again but watched with eastcoast pride seeing our 3 get to the finals and eventual Pictou Co., girl wins! In my opinion if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all and if you watched the show and have negative comments then you are a hyprocrite and if you didn't watch the show and you are commenting on hearsay then you have no factual right...Jillian is a bright, talented, beautiful, personable and athletic person and does not deserve your hyprocrital, bullying, jealous, and disgusting comments....Congrats Jillian, you come from an awesome family and I only hope that someone like you will be teaching my future grandkids because us non-hyprocrites know that it was only a 10 wk acting carreer on a reality TV show and not your actual everyday character of sweetness & beauty...again Congrats on the win and making the East Coast very proud!

• Way to go Jill
    May 07, 2013 - 20:39

Enough is enough. To Lessons learned. I pray you are NEVER a teacher to my kids as I prefer to have an open minded,non judgemental individual teach my kids. How can you talk morals when you are on here bashing someone? it was a GAME.And yes lies and manipulation are a very big part of the GAME. while still in GAME she talked about how bad she felt lying,but again is part of GAME.As a teacher you should be ashamed for bashing her..especially in your role as a teacher.I saw many teachers the other night at the autograph session.Bravo to these open minded fine role models. Stop and think people,these two individuals as well as probably there co-contestants cannot walk into a simple store right now without hoots,hollars,cheers,autograph seekers,etc. Having so many people together in one place on Sun to do this for them and their fans was fantastic.They as well as all there fans take the time and support many events,charities,sick,needy,etc.This is a bright spot in their life so let them enjoy.It was a game.Lying was part of game and not either one of them in real life.We do not assume our athletes such as our local NHL players are violent in real life because they have to check in hockey so why do we assume she has bad morals for playing her game.And also, people,it was not a parade...it was 4 vehicles.Here is definition of parade:a large public procession, usually including a marching band and often of a festive nature, held in honor of an anniversary, person, event, etc. It was 4 vehicles and they were escorted through town to greet their fans.I recommend turning the negative energy into positive energy and take 5 min of your time to do or say something nice for someone today and everyday.It really feels good :) Congrats Jill and Emmett and all your fans.Way to bring national recognition to New Glasgow and Nova Scotia.

• Kenneth Cunningham
    May 07, 2013 - 14:23

Having known Jill for a long time, there's no nicer, sweeter, or more fun person out there. This girl's deserved a parade for a long time! All the best, pal! :)

• A Friend No More
      May 07, 2013 - 19:57

I use to be Villian's friend but seeing how BIG her head has gotten has made me SICK!!!! She was constantly contradicting herself in the game. She had the most help from Emmett - well that is when she wasn't letting him feel her chest, make out with her or even sleeping with him. Way to make your parents proud of you Jill!! We all know...INCLUDING Jillian that she only won by default. She did not earn the other House Guest respect or support. I was not surprised when I read the article that said "She was fine with winning and she is planning on taking the money and run". I wonder how she would have acted if the tables were turned and Gary won by default. She would have been so hurt and so NOT happy!!! Look how she acted when Topaz wouldn't talk to her after Jill lied and stabbed both Topaz AND Alec!!! Lets talk fair....was lying & stabbing people in the back fair? NNNOOOO!!! Was it far when Gary was suppose to win but b/c of a simple mistake he lost?? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess every once and a while the mean girl does win...and no, that is NOT FAIR!!!

• Andrea Dawe
    May 07, 2013 - 09:52

When George Canyon came in second on a reality show he was applauded, when J.D. Fortune won on a similar show he was too. Just as those two have musical talent, Jillian has talent as a physical competitor and won the game fairly despite what some think. Rules are rules...you're telling me that if you won $100,000 you would give it up because of the mistake in voting? Big Brother wouldn't give the money to Gary even if Jillian refused it, because rules are rules. On another issue, I for one did not tell my child that Jillian "hooked up" with Emmett nor did she watch the show. So those who say Jillian is a poor role model better look in the mirror themselves and ask some questions first. Haters gonna hate!!! I can think of a lot worse people to serve as my child's role model other than a confident and strong young lady. Cyber bullies for one.

• pictoucountygirl
    May 06, 2013 - 21:43

come on people, why are you attacking Jillian. She didn't plan the parade, she didn't plan her own home coming so why are you attacking her. She won a reality tv game show,wether you think its a life accomplishment to be proud of or not doesn't matter, she had fun and played the game and won. That is great, good for her. For those who think the parade was too much, you could be right and proably are, sure there are more deserving of a parade who haven't gotten one. I understand were your coming from in being upset about a parade for this But that isn't Jillians fault, she didn't plan the parade or home coming and its not her fault others dont' get a parade. Give the girl a break she didn't do anything wrong, no need for the personal vicious attacks.

• Lessonslearned?
      May 07, 2013 - 08:30

I have been a fan of Big Brother forever and I must say I did enjoy watching BB Canada. I do however really do think Gary was MORE deserving of the win then Jillian was and this is why.... - From week 2, Jillian was team playing with Emmett. She not only use Emmett as a sounding board but also for emotional support, guidance and at times even as an excuse. She would claim to be an "Independent Thinker" from Emmett in one statement but in the next, she would be complaining how she couldn't let Andrew know he would be voted out b/c Emmett didn't want her too. If her game was so independent from Emmett's then what would it matter what Emmett said or wanted?? - She would once again contradict herself when she would fret over lying to her House Guest in one statement but then, would go out again, look them right in the eye, promise them the world and then backstab them as soon as she had the chance!!! This of course was all before she went and bragged about herself in the Diary Room as she patted herself on the back. My favourite would be however when she would actually get upset if THEY became UPSET WITH HER and did not want to Talk to Her!!! She stated "it wasn't fair Topaz wouldn't talk to her"....like it was fair of Jillian would stab her in the back after promising Topaz 100% she would not put her or Alec on the block. - I must say I was most surprised by Jillian's lack of being able to handle constructive criticism, especially since she's a teacher. Being a teacher myself, I must admit witnessing Jillian's lack of morals on so many fronts would lead me NOT to book her for a job nor would I ever want her to teach my own child. One can say whatever about Big Brother being a game and everyone lies, etc....etc.....etc. but Gary not only played with Honesty, he also did so with fierce Self Confidence, Independence, Grace and Integrity AND he was a beautiful role model which I think many would agree Jillian did not. As Jillian said in another interview I read "She plans to take the money and run". I just hope in the end, it was worth it to her to give up her morals for a handful of money.

• Anon
    May 06, 2013 - 21:14

First of all, all of you people complaining don't even know how to spell, so that shows us quickly how much smarter you are than this school teacher that won. Secondly, for the people complaining about how little we do for the veterans, every November there is posters and banners all over the county saying how much we support are troops, we have parades for them, they come to every school in the county and have assemblies based purely around them. We right poetry to them, stories... Needless to say a lot. Lastly, the parade took 20 minutes and then it was open to the public to get an autograph and picture if they wanted one. TWENTY. MINUTES. Let her enjoy the moment and stop bagging on her for lying everyone lies in the game, fellow contestant Andrew even admitted this after being evicted. By Jillian. Let her enjoy the win and her prizes. Its pathetic how quick people are to jump on someone that has done something in their life that is better than anything they have ever done.

• Kelli
    May 06, 2013 - 21:05

Wow! Very surprised (and embarassed) at some of these comments! Do these people not see what they are doing is a form of bullying. Yes, freedom of speech and all, but come on people! I'm glad you won Jillian and I wish you and Emmett all the best!

• Proud to be from PC
    May 06, 2013 - 20:07

And as a final note...go to Emmett Bloise Big Brother fan page on facebook. All the nice people on there are commenting "well done New Glasgow" and "New Glasgow rocks" etc etc......enough said.Even out of town folks notice our great community!!!!!

• Sarah
    May 06, 2013 - 18:32

Jillian played an awesome GAME! So proud of you! I have to be your biggest fan EVER! Congrats

• Proud to be from PC
    May 06, 2013 - 18:01

I am from PC. I proudly support EVERYONE.I support our veterans,our sick,our needy,our many charities our sports teams,our local and our famous musicians, our local and our famous sports stars and yes our reality TV shows.We support each other through tragedy and through triumps, big and small.That is what PC does.I am glad you negative people live such a perfect life, to you I ask,what have you ever supported. We are free to attend events whenever and wherever we choose and yes, some happen to fall on same date.That is ok. Let your support for each be as diverse as we are. I was there last night and loved it,but I also support many charaties,our veterans, those who have and are currently serving,our teachers,doctors, nurses etc.I have also supported those facing death or tragedy. I am proud to be from PC and such a wonderful,diverse community.Stand tall Jill, the negative people can wallow in their hate and will someday grow up and realize they are not so perfect. Be proud PC and continue to support our wonderfully diverse community in all its successes and any unfortunate tragedys.Slice,Jillian and Big Brother have been good to New Glasgow and you forever hold your title. Congrats,enjoy.You and Emmett were well loved yesterday!!!!

• Proud of Jill and PC
    May 06, 2013 - 17:30

To all the negative people, I am happy you have such a perfect life.Congrats! To Jill,Emmett,and the hundreds of people who showed up yesterday pat yourselves on the back.You are truely what Pictou County is about and nothing negative.You all support your peers,strangers or not, through all good times and bad.You support the sick,the injured,the many worthy causes,the veterans,our police,our fireman and the stranger walking beside you should he need your help.And yes,proud to be part of this group,we also support our athletes,our musicians,and yes our reality tv contestants.We support you all because we are proud to be from PC and proud to support ALL no matter the event. Some events are tragic, some are happy but we are PC and we rally together. The smiles and cheers from those present last night in no way diminishes the sick or the brave either current or past.Most there last night are often the 1st to support our own no matter what the event or cause.We are diverse enough to host more than one event at any one time and all are free to attend any event of there own choosing, it does not diminish the importance of any other event.I was in attendance last night for the 4 vehicle drive"not a true parade" and watched the elated crowd! I have also attended many fundraisers over the years from sport events to helping the sick.Also attended many veterans events,musical events,etc. That is part of what is so great about Pictou County, we support all types of people,events,groups,etc.Well done Jillian.Slice,yourself and Big Brother mentioned New Glasgow,NS so many times these last 10weeks and the 1st winner of Big Brother Canada is forever stamped as being from New Glasgow.Congrats to all the many other contestants who have been celebrating with their hometowns. Goes to show how proud they all are and supportive of each. To those who are so negative I truely hope your lives are forever as perfect as you see them.Congrats again Jillian and Emmett.

• Rebecca
    May 06, 2013 - 15:07

Go Jillian, anyone who complains on here is obviously jealous.

• Kelly Falconer
    May 06, 2013 - 14:45

I am a big fan of big brother canada, thought Jillian, Emmett and Andrew did a great job. I was so happy Jillian won. They all seem like great people and I thought it was great that the county had the opportunity to meet them. Hopefully everyone has the ability to understand this was a game, not real life. Anyone old enough to watch this would be mature enough to realize this. Congratulations Jillian! (Pleas notice that I am not afraid to show my real name. )

• sherry pepper
      May 06, 2013 - 15:47

Congradulations Jill...so happy you won I was cheering for you since week 2...I am so glad your hometown showed you the support you deserve. I have seen many negative comments on bb facebook homepage but I would like to tell you that you have nothing to be ashamed of you played a great game, and behaved in a very respectable manner,,,I am a 47 year old Ontario woman who has seen alot of trashy people on reality tv and you certainly were not. Love that you stayed true to your alliance and played such a great game with him...I wish you all the best for your future and hope you can ignore all the nasty comments some people make...but this is real life and we always have to put up with IDIOTS! WELL DONE and ps I truly think Topaz did want to vote for you...should have been 7-0 if they were not so bitter...especially the shield who were so angry with your lies but call themselves superfans of will and boogie...the biggest liars ever.

• Brad
    May 06, 2013 - 14:26

I hope all you cowardly trolls on here spewing diarrhea of the mouth, are sued like Brian Burke is suing the trolls who shot off about him. GET A LIFE, GROW SOME BALLS and use your real you COWARDS!!!

• Sam
      May 06, 2013 - 17:00

Hypocrite much Brad? LOL!!!

• Diane
    May 06, 2013 - 14:25

If a NHL hockey player from Pictou County won the Stanley Cup, there'd definitely be a parade for him. I, like many, happen to be more of a fan of the Big Brother Canada show/game. Jillian is from Pictou County and she won, and not just by luck. What brought her to the final two was her intelligence, her physical and mental endurance (she won many important challenges), her personality, to name a few. And, of the 15 houseguests in the Big Brother house, she was, by far, the one that best carried herself. Why not celebrate her? She represented your county extremely well! ***Regarding the comment about celebrating our soldiers, I whole-heartedly agree. They, above everyone else, should be recognized and thanked the most.***

• Sam
    May 06, 2013 - 14:11

Oh my Lord what an embarrassment to Pictou County in general and New Glasgow in particular to give a hero's welcome to to the winner of a trash game show! Way to make yourselves look like a group of Mayberry hicks! Folks the world over are wetting themselves laughing at you all!

• Andrea Dawe
      May 07, 2013 - 10:01

Don't let the door hit you on the way out then!

• Sam
      May 07, 2013 - 12:36

Oh don't you worry Andrea, I don't live here ! By the way, for originality, on a scale of 1-10 your remark scores negative 30. Now carry on tuning your banjo in anticipation of the tourists!

• RED FACED
    May 06, 2013 - 12:28

omg...I can honestly say I am embarrassed to be from here based on all these comments. I pray Jillian does not read this negative list of comments. I am sure if the man from Toronto won he would have received full support and praise. This just shows the mentality here and the jealousy among so many. You all should be ashamed for making a young woman feel like shes done something wrong. signed: red in the face

• Ryan
      May 06, 2013 - 13:07

This is not jealousy? I don't know where you getting that from? The only thing that concerns me is that people's morals are going so far down the toilet that there is no turning back. 15 years or so ago people would be shocked to see children idolizing such acts. I respect Ms. MacLaughlin for wining such a challenging game, however my question is: Is it really ok for adults and children to idolize cheating, lying, and manipulation under the premises of a game? Why are we celebrating this on such a grand scale? I don't understand it? If we don't condone this in our homes or society, why are we celebrating it?

• Tizzle
      May 06, 2013 - 16:23

Ryan, I really wish I could live in your fantasy world where you just turn your back on the reality of the world around you.

• Ryan
      May 06, 2013 - 21:56

Sorry Tizzle, Life is what you make it. You teach and enforce the values that you believe in. I'm just merely taking a stand for what I believe in.

• Tizzle
      May 07, 2013 - 11:24

You're not taking a stand, you're turning a blind eye to reality.

• debster
    May 06, 2013 - 12:21

Jill did not win legally. She won by a mistake and by having sex with someone in the house to protect her. Very sad she accepted this money. Not fair.

• Lee
      May 06, 2013 - 13:28

She didn't win legally? I don't think she broke any laws LOL Face it. She won, the show awarded her the prize. SHE WON! Congrats Jillian!

• Addam
    May 06, 2013 - 12:13

Take that, Moneysense!

• tasianno
    May 06, 2013 - 12:07

I think the whole point is, this was a tv show. I think everyone is happy for the young lady, if that is what she wanted to do. I'm sure we are all happy she won the money, we all like to see others get ahead RIGHT? BUT that is where my understanding stops, i could certianly understand her friends and family getting together to celebrate her win, but i'm afraid I don't think it rates a parade. My first response when i heard about it was do they have Parades for our soldiers when they return from a tour of duty a live, their live show on lifes stage is much riskier and the stakes are much higher and the outcome effects all our lives in our lifes show. No we don't have parades for them. someone said we remember them everyday but you dont' have parades for them to welcome them home or show how happy you are for them. People aren't so much upset with the show itself, those that like it watch it, those that don't, don't. what about all the people in pictou county that are doing amazing things helping others, finding cures for disease, putting their life on the line everyday protecting us...have we had parades for them. No of course not, but one was had for a lovely young lady who played on a game show and won.....shows how mixed up pictou counties priorities are and why its having so much trouble in so many ways. Congrats to Jillian, i'm happy for you if you had fun, learned something and won some money on the way, and i don't want to take that away from you but i'm afraid I have to agree it didn't deserve a welcome home parade. There are others far more deserving of that. Lets have a Doctors parade, or a parade for our police men and women showing our respect for them or for our military returning home. Lets give honor where honor is due, and a quick good for you where its due.

• JCR
    May 06, 2013 - 11:33

I cannot believe people are upset that you won, other than the jury members. You played a game and won. I am more upset that Peter called you an idiot; well I believe the idiot was evicted and sitting on the jury; Peter - if Jillian is such an idiot why is she the winner. Enjoy your victory; as for all the negative comments - jealousy is a terrible thing. People - take a chill pill - this was a game - Jillian won it; savour the victory - this is some good news in a world with lots of bad news. Winning a game show contest does not negate the concerns of the world and does not overshadow the heroes of our country. Congratulations and always stay on the positive. As for kids watching - they should be in bed and parents should be more responsible and monitor what their kids are doing. Jillian - you seem like a lovely girl - with a loving family - again Congratulations.

• master corporal
    May 06, 2013 - 11:30

I dont much care for this at all either! a parade for this is just rediculus, is this to make our children feel like they have to be skinner, look pretty and be liked in order to get on a reallity show? I agree with the canadian forces guy, I am also a serving vertern who has been in for 11 years and I honestly dont understand the politics in pictou county anymore. the people are gettin far worst then ten years ago. I am very much happy to see that she won but sad to see that the local officals are showing the youth that a false hope of this caliber is what is needed to get reconition for there acompplishments, everyone who put the parade together should be fired and that pour girl who won did not want any of this, she more than likely felt obligated to go alone with this! this is something that should have been done at her school, not on a down town parade, she didnt save any lives she didnt do anything but look pretty and be liked and get thru on a mess up by topaz however good job mclaughlin im proud of the county your from, but local officals very disappointed in you guys, this is a new low!

• Black hole son
    May 06, 2013 - 11:28

Well hey congrats on bringing New Glasgow another Bowling trophy Ms. Laughlin LOL. Yeah when we start celebrating a show based on backstabbing other people it indeed may be a reflection of the persons in the Town Hall who conduct a parade. Gee maybe she got to ride on the New Glasgow Police Services TANK LOL

• Jaycee
    May 06, 2013 - 11:24

Some people need to get off their high horse because its a long way to fall! If you don't like the show don't watch it. Nobody is forcing it on you. I would much rather New Glasgow was known for winning a National Game show than being known for coming bottom on the Moneysense table for the whole of Canada. Jillian, Emmett and Andrew all played really well in this long running strategic game - lets face it most of us would have been driven crazy living in such an unnatural environment for so long. Well done them and thanks for coming to New Glasgow to thank the people who supported you all throughout the game :-)

• The Raven
    May 06, 2013 - 10:34

Sounds like a lot of people around PC are sure crying SOUR GRAPES!!!! Be happy that someone from our small county has won a major reality show and stop griping!!!!! I can't wait to run into Jillian and tell her how proud I am proud of her and I have never met the girl in my life! We remember everyday what our Forces have done and are doing for us, but don't take away this little bit of celebration for a happy event!!

• Susan
    May 06, 2013 - 09:54

I agree with Canadian Forces Member a 100%. This is Ludicrous it makes you wonder where Peoples Values are, a Parade for winning a Reality Game Show." Lest we forget", shame on you New Glasgow, you are forgetting what makes a Real Hero. Superficial Fanfare for a shallow Cause. I hope someone does a follow up Article on this with Canadian Forces Members Point of View.

• Townie
    May 06, 2013 - 08:57

so its the same old people on here that are miserable and cant stand the thought of someone getting recognition for bringing attention to Pictou County. If youd dont like the program switch the channel...if you dont like living here, then MOVE, Talk about sour grapes. Jillian you did a great job and we are so proud of you!!!! you deserved the welcome home and recognition last night!! dont listen to these negative people...there are the many many of us who are so happy you won and we can call you our hometown pride!!!!!! way to go girl and enjoy your time!!!!!!!

• Sr
    May 06, 2013 - 08:15

If people are worried about children using someone as a role model why don't they get off Facebook and twitter and try something called "parenting" instead of plopping their kids down in front of the television for hours on end. They let tv raise their kids without any control over what they watch because they are too busy sharing links that talk about how great they are as parents and then they complain that what's on television is no good for your kid. If people wanted to keep their kids away they could. Lastly if that is everyone's problem then none of this is Jill's fault they should be upset with the town or with society, don't take your petty, misguided anger out on an innocent person

• DEBBIE
    May 06, 2013 - 08:03

OMG ..YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE DEGRADING JILLIAN , SHAME ON YOU IT'S A GAME SHOW .... AND IT WAS TOPAZ WHO SCREWED UP WITCH WAS MEANT TO BE ...... KARMA LOL ..YOU WERE A GOOD ROLE MODLE JILLIAN !!! & WE ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU

• Way to Go
    May 06, 2013 - 08:03

Jillian, Congrats on your big win! You definitely deserved it. Some poeple really need to get a grip so just avoid the negative comments. It's a game and you won fair and sqaure. The same people that are complaining about their kids watching it shouldn't let them but yet they are probably watching the afternoon soap operas...but yet that is ok. Good grief. Jealousy will get you nowhere people. All the best Jillian :)

• SP
    May 06, 2013 - 07:25

A parade was such a waste of tax payers dollars and I totally agree with "Canadian Forces Member" on his points, it's something I even said yesterday! It's sad to see more people rally around this than other important issues...

• KMD
    May 06, 2013 - 07:21

I am so tired of hearing people say that Gary's return was not fair. It was Big Brother where everything is fair. They made the decision, not Gary. He was the lucky person who got to go back in. Jillian played well, hid behind Emmitt and secured herself a place in the final.

• Ashley
    May 06, 2013 - 07:10

So excited for Jillian!!! I went to school with her in halifax and worked with her in halifax. She is a great and deserving person of this. From the premiere night I watched a few minutes and thought I am not gonna like this but then saw Jillian's face and was routing and watching every night for her. So happy she came out the winner in the end and yes played a great game! I have watched Big brother(US) since it started and how jillian played her game is the way it goes to get to the end. Congrats Jill I

louise lorette
    May 06, 2013 - 07:07

Glad you won Jillian. What a bunch of small minded whiners on here. My first choice was Andrew but he didn't win so I'm glad you did. The people that gripe are just jealous that it wasn't them. Congrats.

• watchdog
    May 06, 2013 - 06:53

Never watched a single eposode. television today is so devoid of intellectual stimuli.I wish for once there was a program on the tube that would inspire young people to learn and to interact gracefully in society. To reward young people for academic excellence, even though sad to say I was never one of those people.

• jerry
    May 06, 2013 - 06:42

A civic parade? For a reality TV contestant? I thought I was reading the comic pages just now... No wonder New Glasgow is the bottom of MoneySense rankings.

• woman
    May 06, 2013 - 06:26

It is so unfortunate some people envy others success. Wishing you the best Jillian ! Have been ''rooting'' for you and Emmet since the beginning and happy you were the winner.

• Ryan
      May 06, 2013 - 07:16

Its not that we people envy others success, we just believe in morals. If you consider idolizing lying, cheating, and manipulation as good entertainment value, it is all the more proof that we as a society failed, and as a result, we are in turn failing our children. (looking at the age of the crowd at NG square, I would say a lot of those kids are going to take an impression away from Ms. MacLaughlin's actions.) Yes, this is the role model (lying, cheating, manipulation) that we tell our children it is ok to believe in. If you think this is something that should be idolized, then it is in my opinion that we as a collective society are screwed.

• Sam
    May 06, 2013 - 03:36

In one word- PATHETIC!

• Rita Temple
    May 06, 2013 - 01:49

Jillian was an awesome player!!! Just wish I could have been home to welcome her back!!! I still believe Topaz's vote was karma making sure the best and most deserving player won!!

• Kelly
    May 06, 2013 - 00:53

I don't understand why some people are bashing Jillian on here. She lied, but so what? Everyone does and this was simply a game; a game in which manipulation is a key component in winning. Furthermore, it's idiotic to believe that what's displayed on tv is the truth, you can't judge someone based on footage which has clearly been edited and remastered for entertainment value. The fact is, Jillian completely crushed competitions and was able to make alliances which not only ensured her safety but was paramount in evicting threats.Leave the girl alone, she represented herself well in the house and Pictou County is very proud.

• Big Brother Fan
      May 06, 2013 - 10:35

I so agree with Kelly. It is a game, you are not forced to watch it. I am thrilled that a New Glasgow native one. It brings some more attention to the County and we sure could use some!! Way to go Jillian, you played an awesome game and kicked butt! You deserved to win.

• Kay
      May 06, 2013 - 11:15

I totally agree. And I didn't see Jillian as evil. Everyone had to deceive others at times and Jillian was a powerhouse with all of her wins. She was loyal to Emmett, even when trying to get him out would have been better for her game. Karma kicked in and she won. I agree that it's wonderful to celebrate heroes in the community, but it's also nice to take time out for something fun. There are all kinds of events for fun, not just honouring men and women who fight for the country.

• Gail Mundy
      May 06, 2013 - 14:48

You do not understand what some people are bashing Jill for lying? Jillian is a teacher of our children. If you think lying (even in a show), is acceptable, perhaps you may want to think on it. In addition, I raise the question, that how can she, as a teacher, sleep at night accepting a prize she knows she did not win legitamately. What is this teaching our youth? Shame on you Jill. Do what is right and share the prize with Gary (at least!!).

• jemmet supporter
    May 06, 2013 - 00:23

Jillian, I rooted for you, Emmet and Andrew throughout...I was often heard saying 'if any one of those three win, I'll be happy', I was so behind you all. I'm so proud of you three. Any negative Nellies need to chill. Loved Gary too...game played, great cast.

• bev young
    May 05, 2013 - 23:36

the way I see it...Gary should of never been brought back anyways...it was not fair to the other ones. I think Jillian won it fare n square...she played a good game..i was for gary until they brought him back...then he started whining....

• Rose
    May 05, 2013 - 23:06

Jillian was a great player in this game. I am on the west coast and don't know her but I think she is an amazing strong woman who truly knew how this game is played.. I also love Gary and would have been equally happy to see him win. The reason he didn't get the big prize had nothing to do with Jillian. It is the fault of Topaz. Congratulations Jillian!!

• Cy
    May 05, 2013 - 22:20

Only in PC would people idolize a cheater, sex crazed, manipulating, lying woman. I know it was "only a show" as some will say and that she was "playing a game", but in the end she is/was a school teacher locally. Setting a great example for our youth to follow...... Enjoy your "Five minutes of fame" Ms. MacLaughlin, I doubt it will last!! I'm embarrassed to say I live here (in Canada's worst place to live) ....... Mmmm I wonder why? Sad.....

• Sr
      May 05, 2013 - 22:41

Any parents that would allow their children to watch a show where they could see someone who is "sex crazed" and a "cheater" are the real problem. Especially those passive aggressive types who post anonymous moments bullying (yes i is bullying) another person who has no ability to defend themselves. The point of the show is clear and Jillian played it perfectly. Everyone in town should idolize her because she is a hard worker and represented us well. The problem in a small town is people can't handle others' success and have to try and bring them down with them. At least Jillian can enjoy 5 minutes which is more than most will ever have as they drown away their regretful, hate filled life in a town they apparently hate.

• Values
      May 05, 2013 - 22:47

I agree!! Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I am sorry this is what our world idolizes, Manipulation? What kind of example do you think you set for our children. I see NO reason for anyone to be proud here. Wake up people...and to be a teacher on top of it all takes the cake. It really makes me anger if the school board thinks this is okay! Where are your values and morals?

• VLK
      May 05, 2013 - 23:31

I think you need to remember IT WAS JUST A GAME!!!

• E White
      May 06, 2013 - 00:55

CY, you should be glad you're living in Canada at all….take a long hard look at how people live in other countries and besides that if the show embarrassed you then why were you watching in the first place….does your TV not have an off button or channel change button?????

• bobby fore
      May 06, 2013 - 07:01

she'll make a wonderful "rep" hockey mom. lol

• Grow up
      May 06, 2013 - 09:49

Like I always say, if you hate it here so bad and hate the people, then why stay? This is Pictou County's biggest problem- people consistently bashing it and the people that live here. I have no idea why you would be "embarrassed" to live in Pictou County. I think it's great that when a local does something different and exciting, that they are praised and supported by their hometown. Jillian did an excellent job playing the game and yes, she may have done some wrong things, but haven't you and everyone else? It is too bad that when something good and positive is being celebrated in the county people have to jump all over it and make others look like fools when it actuality, those criticizing are the real fools.

• Charlene
    May 05, 2013 - 21:47

Yay Jillian! Congrats!, Im from Truro NS so very proud of you, Emmett and Andrew for representing NS, you all did us proud. You said it, only focus on the positive people because the negitive ones are just jealous! You deserved that win no matter what is said about Topaz's vote, to be honest I truly feel that Topaz meant that vote for you anyway, she just didn't want to hurt Gary's feelings and this was her weird way of putting the vote in that she truly wanted she knew you deserved the vote as well! Enjoy the ride and best wishes to you and Emmett, love you both!! :)

• marg cormier
    May 05, 2013 - 21:29

good going jillian ,you deserved to wn

• Kim
    May 05, 2013 - 21:19

Congratulations, Jillian. We hope to see more of you in East Hants. It really is nice to see girl power. Don't under estimate the East coast ladies! Way to go Jillian! You won big in the Big Brother house....money and a nice guy! I think Emmet's the biggest winner yet though!

• lcs
    May 05, 2013 - 21:19

Congrats jillian you deserved it,ng is proud of you!

• Liz in NB
    May 05, 2013 - 21:16

WTG Jillian! Very happy for you!You REALLY deserved to win!!!

• knight
    May 05, 2013 - 21:15

i feel bad for the pawns in the audience...

• canadian forces member
    May 05, 2013 - 21:14

This is disgusting. Another low point for pictou county. On today, the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, a day we should be remembering the thousands of sailor and airmen that lost their lives protecting our shores and deliverng supplies to the men and women overseas, the people of pictou county thought it would be better to throw a parade for some teacher and dairy farmer for playing a game show. Yes I know there was a ceremony in pictou to remember the Battle of the Atlantic, but I can guarantee it did not recieve as much attention or fan-fare as this despicable event at Glasgow Square. What a waste of time and resources. Why not have a parade for that woman from Stellarton who was a model on "Deal or No Deal" since you want to give this clowns a parade. Maybe the organizers should take a look in the mirror think about having a long talk with themselves about throwing parades for deserving people, soldiers returning from Afghanistan, sailors returning from 6+ months at sea, police, firefighters, vetrans, even to go as far as EMTs, everyday heroes and real people to look up to and say "that is someone I want to be like". So as I said, another low point for pictou county and I am glad I went and did my part and thanked a veteran and fellow sailors, soldiers, and airmen in Halifax today.

• AGGY
      May 05, 2013 - 22:51

Hey CY- If you don't like where you live, MOVE! Don't complain, just do it. Goooooooooo Jillian!!!!!!!!!!!!

• canadian forces member
      May 06, 2013 - 06:28

I dunno who CY is but trust me Aggy, I already took that bit advice and left Pictou County for greener pastures and employment in the great city of Halifax. I currently work at HMC Dockyard waiting for my first sail. Since moving to HRM, I have encountered nothing criminal. When I lived in Westville, I had stuff stolen, a police takedown in my backyard, I encountered more drugs then you can shake a stick at, and watched business after business fail. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Jillian for doing her thing on tv (lying, backstabbing, sleeping with a guy she just met, hell everyone does it, she just gets paid for it now), what bothers me is just the day it was held (the anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic) and why the real heroes of the world don't get this treatment. Even Ontario hosted a parade on the same day but to remember fallen police officers, not game show contestants.

• Gemma
      May 06, 2013 - 09:00

Cdn Forces Member, I was on parade yesterday from 9am to 12pm for the Battle of the Atlantic. There was lots of time to attend that parade and attend a homecoming at 7pm. Not sure how familiar you are with the homecomings of our(us) sailors after being at sea serving for 6 to 8 months, but there is always a huge celebration on the jetty the day they arrive, also I will add that when some not all of those sailors return to their home towns there have been many parades for each of them. And you say you are awaiting your first sail.... haha you shouldn't be talking crap about anyone sleeping with someone they just meet, or back stabbing and lying because if you think that doesn't happen during sails? You better think again. I KNOW !!!!!

• FAIR
      May 06, 2013 - 10:25

As a Canadian Forces member, you would think you would have more respect for other Canadians who represent this country well, and their hometown. Jillian played the GAME, it is a GAME. She got ahead because she was brilliant, athletic and committed to her initial alliance with Emmett. She had a strong social game, and its not like her decisions were made without remorse, she was very sad with some of the moves she had to make. In whatever fashion the town decided to celebrate her homecoming, it shouldn't matter! They were pleased with her, and it didn't take away from the original purpose of the anniversary, it added some new positive Canadian icons into the mix! I myself am in the law enforcement field and there is nothing wrong with welcoming Jillian in this way, she deserved the win, played the GAME and is a positive representative of a strong female. Everyone falls in love, she just happened to do it on BBC in a more public way, who cares! You need to appreciate modern day Canadian successes, because this is it, get used to it. If you are actually a Canadian Forces member,then I thank you for your services, but learn some respect for other icons.

• Shame to some people
      May 06, 2013 - 11:10

There are people fighting daily and family and friends and STRANGERS praise and appreciate and take time to thank them EVERYDAY OF OUR LIVES and the fact that you can sit here and shoot off about people who did AMAZING for themselves and did something to make PC proud, you should be ashamed. There is not much left in pictou county for anyone anymore and so many people are leaving and now the fact that pictou county is the First winners place EVER for Big Brother Canada which is a huge show, and something not only PC but Nova Scotia can be proud of and you have to bash it. I think you should rethink theories here. We support our troops everyday of our lives especially us who have family fighting and overseas, but its amazing to have someone do something great as well for themselves and the county.

• Dont panic
      May 06, 2013 - 11:35

People can not stay open without funding.. The wellness center is amazing and there doing well but the YMCA in NG was doing well just the same.. the YMCA in Pictou has not been doing well for a number of years as there are no clients. It was a good business choice and yes its a bummer for people who went there but buck up, things will get better.

• andrew
      May 06, 2013 - 17:20

more drugs then you can shake a stick at should read "more drugs THAN you can shake a stick at"

• Charmaine
    May 05, 2013 - 21:03

I am sooooo happy u WON I did not like the bad thing people were saying about u and I hope u and that little cutie Emmett have a good start if u can live together in the BBC house u can live with each other lol happy again u WON in joy u worked hard for it

• Hannah
    May 05, 2013 - 20:59

Jillian and Emmett are the best!

• Pam
      May 06, 2013 - 06:14

Oh My Goodness People. Get a grip . This is a TV Game show ,which is only shown on(one) 1channell and on late at night as well, So if your kids are watching ,flick to another channel or get them off to bed...Loved the show. Way to go Jillian ,congrats to you ,a GAME well played. I too feel Topaz meant to vote for YOU!!!!!!!