Micah Osborne believes he could have died at the Nova Scotia Community College last week.
He was sitting in the computer room when his tongue started to swell. Somehow in a room that was supposed to be free of food or drinks, peanuts had been introduced and Osborne was having an allergic reaction.
“The ambulance had to come get me,” Osborne said.
He was given in epinephrine shot and treated in hospital for several hours. Now he’s left with an ambulance bill and a fear that it could happen again.
“I don’t want to go back to class if I’m going to have a chance of dying,” he said.
He said he’d like to see the school do more to keep the building peanut free. Right now they still have Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in the vending machines and other peanut products.
“It’s an airborne allergy. Just from smelling it I could have an attack. It’s not a very fun thing to have to live with. I’m hoping the school will do something about it.”
Audrey Arsenault, academic chair for School of Access and School of Health and Human Services, says they don’t currently have any kind of ban on nuts.
“We don’t have a peanut policy because it’d be very difficult to enforce,” she said. “There’s many people coming and going all the time. It’s kind of like a shopping mall.”
She said all commissionaires as well as many staff members are trained in First Aid and know how to deal with situations such as happened last week.
“We are very safety conscious. It’s our No. 1 priority,” she said.
She said there are also typically wipes in computer rooms that students can wipe down their computers before and after use if they so choose.
She said the school is happy that Osborne is doing well and that he received the treatment he needed. She said she wasn’t sure if the food served in the vending machines is something that’s going to be looked into or not.
“Any student that has concerns, they can bring those to us,” she said.
On Twitter: NGNewsAdam