Metting tonight will present report to public
The Study Action Committee tasked with reviewing the potential consolidation of Grade 9 students from East Pictou Middle School, Thorburn Consolidated School and Trenton Middle School to North Nova Education Centre in September 2014 presented its final report to the elected members of the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board (CCRSB) Thursday evening.
The CCRSB will hold a meeting about moving Grade 9 students from some area middle schools to North Nova Education Centre for next year.
The final report recommends that all Grade 9 students from the east side of the Celtic Family of Schools be consolidated at North Nova Education Centre beginning in September 2014.
The Study Action Committee considered the desirability of moving all Grade 9 students on the east side to North Nova Education Centre based on input from the public (individuals and/or groups) and other stakeholders, including students, around the following criteria:
• Educational and program implications and their effects on the progress of students.
• Financial implications.
• Transportation implications.
• Maintenance implications.
• Facilities implications.
• Effects on the social environment of the school and greater communities impacted.
• Lunchroom facilities.
• Socialization implications for students of the schools which may be consolidated.
• Student co-curricular activities.
• Student government finances.
• Traffic at schools to which students may be transferred.
The final report may be accessed at www.ccrsb.ca, click on “Document Depot”, “Education Services”. The final report will also be presented to the public tonight (Dec. 12) at North Nova Education Centre, beginning at 7 p.m.
The elected members of the school board will make a final decision regarding consolidation at the Regular Public Board Meeting on Jan. 15, 2014.