Two and a half hours after students at two Berwick area schools were placed under lockdown, the precaution was lifted and two people were arrested.
Cambridge Elementary School with the RCMP on scene Tuesday.
RCMP confirmed that two young people were arrested without incident, nowhere near Cambridge Elementary and Central Kings Rural High School. Police say it is too early to determine if criminal charges will be laid.
RCMP spokesman Sgt. Alain LeBlanc confirmed that officers were called to the Cambridge schools after a threat was received by a high school student just before noon. He could not say what the nature of the threat was.
“This relates to a student that received a threat … in the form of a text,” LeBlanc said.
A release issued by the RCMP indicated the text was received at approximately 11:55 a.m.
RCMP had several officers at the schools and a police service dog was called in to assist with the investigation. Police do not believe the suspects ever entered the school property.
Kristen Loyst, spokesperson for the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board, said that no threat had been made to Cambridge Elementary, but the lockdown was implemented at the elementary school next door as a “precaution.”
The AVRSB announced at 2 p.m. that Cambridge Elementary would be dismissed at the normal time, with RCMP officers remaining on site to assist and ensure student safety.
At 2:30 p.m., the board announced the lockdown had been lifted and dismissal at Central Kings would proceed as usual.
“I was extremely proud of our students and staff and the manner in which they conducted themselves during the event,” said principal Janice Foote.