PICTOU – Planning is underway for the 80th anniversary of the Pictou Lobster Carnival.
Kent Corbett, executive member of the carnival committee, said recently a large number of fundraisers will take place between March and June. The Pictou Lobster Carnival will kick off on July 11.
“The goal is to be debt free by carnival,” he said. “We have about $8,000 left to raise from the $40,000 debt.”
The Pictou Lobster Carnival was in jeopardy of folding last year after public meetings revealed it was carrying a huge debt load. New volunteers came on board to help out the existing committee members pull off the event in 2013 which include reducing some costs by cutting out events or scaling back on entertainment.
A new board of directors was elected to the carnival committee for 2014 and Corbett said the focus has been on reducing the debt so that it can start with a clean slate in July.
He added the entertainment line up for the 80th anniversary will include a few surprises and details for other events, but the biggest need right now is volunteers.
“We need people to volunteer to help us out with these events on carnival weekend,” he said. Anyone interested can contact him at 485-5605.
Upcoming fundraising events for the Pictou Lobster Carnival:
– T-shirt sale: Red T-shirts with the PLC logo will be for sale at local businesses for $10 each.
– March 15: Dance at the Highlander Beverage Room, Pictou, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. with music by False Pretense and Mike and the MacPhersons.
– April 13: Ham and salad dinner takeout. Delivery is available. To place an order call, 485-5360 or 485-5605.
– April 18: Dance TBA.
– May 3: Pancake breakfast at the New Horizon’s Seniors Club, 7:30-11 a.m. (or sold out) $5 a plate.
– June 7: Barbecue at Sobeys store in Pictou
– June 20: Professional wrestling event at the Hector Arena, TBA.