$100,000 still needed to reach enhancement goal
The New Glasgow Academy Campaign organizers are still searching for support to help it reach their goal of $200,000 to the new school.
This week's winner for the New Glasgow Academy Campaign, Chase the Ace, was Mitchell Carrigan (right). With him is Dave Whittemore, fundraising co-chair.
The campaign has currently raised just over $100,000.
Fundraising co-chair Dave Whittemore said they are still waiting to hear back from service organizations and company‚Äôs that they‚Äôve put in requests to. While they wait for those responses, though he said they‚Äôre trying to encourage parents of current and future students to contribute.
‚ÄúThat‚Äôs one area we haven‚Äôt seen a whole lot of response,‚ÄĚ he said.
He said for many parents their children will be there for as many as nine years and those kids will benefit greatly from the enhancements.
‚ÄúIt‚Äôs not the amount that you give,‚ÄĚ Whittemore said. ‚ÄúIt‚Äôs the number of people that give.‚ÄĚ
Donations of $25-$50 from 200 people for example could make a tremendous difference in their campaign, he said.
The school is scheduled to open on time this September and time is running out to raise the rest of the money.
‚ÄúWe‚Äôre trying to keep it fresh in everybody‚Äôs mind.‚ÄĚ
There are a couple of ongoing fundraisers. One is the Chase the Ace that happens weekly at the Pictou County Flea Market. Right now the Jackpot is up to $3,600 with 29 cards left in the deck.
There‚Äôs also a wine and cheese with music event, All that Jazz, planned for June 7 at North Nova Education Centre. Musical performances by the jazz bands and choirs from New Glasgow Junior High and North Nova Education Centre. Tickets will be available starting Friday and will cost $20.
If the money isn‚Äôt successfully raised, it will fall to the Town of New Glasgow to make up the difference.
Enhancements for New Glasgow Academy will include:
- Increasing the size of the Gymnasium by 900 sq ft to provide accommodation for two physical education classes to be held simultaneously and include seating for 200
- Expanding the band and elementary music rooms by 300 sq ft to improve the acoustic quality, provide separate practice areas and much needed storage space for instruments and equipment
- Adding 225 sq ft to the Multicultural Meeting Room to allow more space for activities
- Natural Outdoor Recreation Area to allow students to be creative in their play while reaping the health benefits of being outdoors
- New musical instruments to allow for growth and to help ensure the continued success of the well respected music programs
- Sports uniforms required for all sports teams
- Art projects, students will be given the opportunity to participate and create various art projects to be displayed throughout the school, in addition, a 20 ft totem pole depicting the history of the three schools and our multiculturalism will be constructed
Want to help?
(Tax Receipts provided for donations over $10):
1. Cheques payable to "New Glasgow Academy Campaign" and mailed to:
New Glasgow Academy Campaign
c/o New Glasgow Junior High
334 Temperance Street
New Glasgow, NS B2H 3B5
2. On-line at www.canadahelps.org by entering "Chignecto Central" for the charity name, and include "New Glasgow Academy" in the message box.
3. At any Royal Bank Branch in Pictou County.