UPDATED: Giant water bug found in New Glasgow

John Brannen

NEW GLASGOW - Annie Reddick on Frederick Street in New Glasgow had never seen any bug like it in 83-years.

UPDATE: Jim Shaw took a couple photos yesterday at the family pool in Black Point, Pictou County. It also looks like a giant water bug (see photos).

Jason Desmond of New Glasgow holds up what appears to be a three-inch long giant water bug or commonly as toe-biters that was found near the property. Desmond said it was captured after scratching at the front door.

Also known as a toe biter, the large insect is known to pack a very painful bite.

Geographic location: New Glasgow

Comments

Comments

• Jackson Collins
    September 18, 2014 - 20:29

I found a 2.5 inche Gaint Water Bug on my back porch. It was jumping like a Frog. And we though it was a Bat . Collie Dog that weighs 130 lb was scare of it. I was also. I am 64 years old and have never seen one, my first. I live in Hyden,KY

• Marsh Meadows
    May 18, 2014 - 08:10

This time of year, these insect eaters (including mosquito larva) are moving from one pond to another to find a mate and reproduce. It would be like someone from New Glasgow going to Truro to find a date. Don't kill them just because ...

• Krista
    May 17, 2014 - 02:49

Im in alberta we got them here too and they can be even bigger yuck yuck creepy

• Kelly Antigonish
    May 17, 2014 - 00:19

it's not the first time i have seen a water bug, i saw one infront of sobeys aberdeen mall new glasgow a few years ago, back then no one could tell me what it was , but i managed to find some info online that aided me in at least knowing what it was...they r the size of a lighter and can be just as fat at least the one i saw then was.

• Susan Jackson
    May 16, 2014 - 22:09

Found one in my pool today , same size. Posted pictures on my FB page

• Tanya
    May 16, 2014 - 21:03

We had one trying to jump into our patio door window about 2 weeks ago in Economy, N.S. Have never seen anything like it!! Huge bug!!

• Jenny o
    May 16, 2014 - 17:37

There was one in my pool in Trenton two days ago

• April
    May 16, 2014 - 16:43

I seen one a few years ago in Alberta, very hard to kill, no sense using bug spray, won't work. The smaller ones get in the pool, we have had them in ours, they search for water, I wouldn't want to get bit by one.......

• Anne
    May 16, 2014 - 13:35

I took a picture of one today ..on Andersons Mt road!!

• A
    May 16, 2014 - 10:34

We get them in our pool every year.I have to put extra chlorine in the pool to get rid of them. They will sting you specially if there's baby's. I live in Truro.Please let me no if you find out water they are for sure.

• Jackie
    May 16, 2014 - 08:36

Seen one that big when I was just a little girl! It flew or jumped onto my brothers shoe right outside the movie theater in ng, it was as big as that one too!

• Ticked In Trenton
    May 16, 2014 - 08:33

Exactly 40 years ago I seen a huge one that looked like that bug, In a place called Antrim about a 45 minute drive from Halifax, they certainly are massive and can be 3x bigger then the ones showing up around here, you need to educate your children on this one, they like to play with bugs when young and these little devils are nothing to play with.

• Kathy
    May 16, 2014 - 08:07

I own the Needs store in James street in Antigonish...one flew....yes FLEW into.my store Wednesday night!!

• Cassandra
    May 16, 2014 - 08:05

We found one in our driveway in Toney River 3 years ago! Not the first time they've been around.

• Tammy
    May 16, 2014 - 07:10

I found one of these on my car last week down by Sobeys Head Office, had never seen one before or heard of one until now.

• Ashley
    May 16, 2014 - 06:40

We had one of these outside of our door at work in Truro a few weeks ago, too! AHHHHH! lol

• chris
    May 15, 2014 - 23:09

pretty crazy looking.just seen one in front of shoppers drug mart in trenton as well.got lots of pictures on cell phone and compared size using a bic lighter.

• unknown
    May 15, 2014 - 22:46

Kill the GD thing!!

• tanya roode
    May 15, 2014 - 22:14

I think i might have seen one in my pool

• Dylan
    May 15, 2014 - 21:41

well it looks like its time to move out of ng

• Shannon
    May 15, 2014 - 21:24

posted a picture of the Giant Water bug a few weeks ago on your Facebok page! They are huge!