UPDATED: Dog gets second chance after biting child

Amy Woolvett

Stormy and her puppies have been returned to her family after spending two weeks in the municipal dog pound, her fate uncertain.

“I am just overwhelmed and happy,” said Claire Brown, Stormy’s owner.

Earlier this month, a neighbouring four-year old child in Roseway Park wandered into the dog’s yard and the six-year-old beagle mix bit him causing puncture wounds and bruising to his face.

Seized by the Municipality of Shelburne, the dog’s fate was in question. It was later determined that Stormy was pregnant and that may have been a contributing factor to the attack.

The child’s mother has since been the focus of many negative comments on social media and on comment boards on news sites, but the dog’s owner called for understanding.

“I do not agree with anyone being that hard on her,” said Brown.  “Everyone is okay and that is what is important…in my eyes no one is to blame.”

The fenceless backyard of Brown’s home has since been transformed with beware of dog signs and a giant pen built by Brown’s teenage son, Josh.

Josh had built the structure over the weekend in an effort to have the dog returned.

“I was happy,” said Josh, on getting his family pet back.  “I was worried things were going to be worse.”

He said all of the puppies have been spoken for.

Brown was amazed by the community support she received. A fund has been set up to help pay for the insurance the dog now requires and for Stormy to be spayed.

“I was overwhelmed that strangers could be so supportive,” she said.  “I want to thank everyone for their support.”

She hopes there will be no residual hard feelings with her neighbour.

“No one knows what actually happened,” she said.  “Let this be a lesson to all of us.”

Geographic location: Shelburne, Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

Comments

Comments

• tttezzza
    May 29, 2014 - 08:51

the dog was in it's own yard tethered and besides did you see the "scratch" on his face, dog bite or attack is a bit strong poor old half blind dog probably bumped into the kid and caused that scratch??

• Irate taxpayer
    May 27, 2014 - 20:08

Does anyone edit the titles?? Dog's gets?? - dogs get or dog gets???

• Sony d
    May 27, 2014 - 14:19

THE PARENT IS AT FAULT PERIOD! She turns it around saying the dog owner should have warned her dog was pregnant, would that have made her watch HER toddler better?? No ! How about the kid was trespassing! Seriously I'd usually side with the parent but in this case TOTALLY THE PARENTS OF THE 4 year old is at FAULT! Hope the dog is returned to her home with her pups safely.

• DogLoverKidLover
    May 27, 2014 - 13:02

Are these people serious? Are they actually suggesting the pet owner should have WARNED people in the neighbourhood that the dog was pregnant and could possibly bite? As a LONGTIME pet owner i have never heard of that in my life. This poor dog was in its own yard, tied, and bothering no one.. If your dog has never bitten why would you think it could or would bite. There is a potential for ANY dog to bite....this dog owner was acting responsibly and did everything right.. I believe child welfare should have been called not animal control. The onus is on a parent to protect their child, so they should start there and watch your child, a four year old shouldn't be out and unattended anyway, I believe a dog bite was the least of this families issues. Someone could have taken the child or the little thing might have wandered in to the street.. They should consider this a wake up call and watch their child. pregnant or not no one would have known the pet would bite if she never had for the previous 6 years. The point shouldn't be if the child fell on the pet, if the dog was pregnant or the child may have tormented the dog the child should not have been on the property, so for the parent to say its disgusted. Shame on them.....watch your children!,,

• Debbie Benji
    May 27, 2014 - 11:41

I also was bit as a child by a dog that was on its own property. Did my Mother insist the dog be put down?? NO she gave me the what for for being on someone elses property. It was an unfortunate incident that hopefully the child and parents will learn from a four year old has no business being out unsupervised. If its not your property don't go on it without permission. I hope calmer heads prevail and the dog is kept alive.

• Annie
    May 27, 2014 - 10:59

"She said she doesn’t understand why Brown wouldn’t have warned nearby parents that her dog was pregnant and potentially a threat." So if she were aware her neighbour had a pregnant dog, maybe she wouldn't have let her four-year-old child wander unsupervised into other people's backyards?? And the mother mentioned that the boy is devastated an animal would hurt him, so I assume that means he was never taught that not all dogs are nice and you should be careful and gentle around them?? Absolutely ridiculous. The dog was tied on in the safety of her own backyard and should not be punished for this.

• JEG
    May 27, 2014 - 10:52

Why was a four year old wandering around in other people's yards unsupervised in the first place?? If the dog were unleashed and bit the child in the child's backyard it'd be a different story, but the dog was tied on in its own yard and for whatever reason this small unsupervised child meandered into its territory. A pregnant dog especially is going to be more territorial than usual. This dog should not be put down, she is not the one to blame here. The parents should have been watching their child.

• Ashley
    May 27, 2014 - 10:42

I would like for someone to have asked Ms Oikle where she was when her FOUR YEAR OLD was wandering onto other peoples property. That's the really question that needs answering here. A dog, on private property, chained should not be taken and killed because a parent couldn't keep an eye on their child. Also if no one was there, who knows the kid could have been terrible to the dog, poking and aggravating it. No one was there to see! And while whatever the kid was doing doesn't mean he should have been bitten. A leashed animal on private property should not lose his life over some mothers inattention to her kid.

• Lynn
    May 27, 2014 - 10:12

It is absolutely not fair that the dog be put down. I was bit by a dog that was known to be aggressive when I was a child. He attacked me (I still have a scar) and he was not put down. Why should a dog who was on a leash, and not bothering anyone be put down? I know kids run off, but I really think the parent's are not taking enough responsibility for not watching their kid. I really hope people don't let this happen.

• Jane
    May 27, 2014 - 09:40

People need to realize in these situations that the parents are can be and are at fault just the same. Maybe the parents need to step up and take a little of the blame, not saying all the blame but why was their child unsupervised ? A four year old at that. I mean come on people it’s 2014 . Instead of playing the blame game just take responsibility. Children need to be taught to respect animals. I think it’s terrible that the parents want this poor family pet put down, it’s an awful situation however you look at it but maybe parents should keep a better eye on their kids. The dog didn’t run into the kids yard , the kid came into the dogs yard and perhaps though it was defending its self , so for that they want to end a life? I’m sorry a child got hurt but it shouldn’t end with a life lost. This dog may mean the world to its family. Losing a pet has a huge impact on a person’s life.

• Melanie
      May 27, 2014 - 16:49

Absolutely right....I myself am the parents of two very young children...and a dog. If this child was properly supervised this would never have happened. The dogs owners in this case had their dog secured in the yard and cannot be held responsible for a child coming onto their property. Shame on those parents for trying to have the dog put down. Take a look in the mirror folks.

• Melanie
      May 27, 2014 - 16:50

• Courtney
    May 27, 2014 - 09:20

Absolutely ridiculous. This dog did absolutely nothing wrong - yes, it is unfortunate that a child was bitten BUT - where were the parents? Who lets their four year old roam the streets? Please teach your children respect for animals so this can be prevented in the future. That poor dog was doing nothing but defending itself, and it's territory. Give the dog back!

• Johnny Mac
    May 27, 2014 - 08:47

Dog tied in its yard, no parents around ... sounds like this is the parents fault the dog did nothing wrong. The kid should not have gone near the dog in the first place. This dog should not have been taken from its owners, maybe lets charge the parents for endangering their child.