TC MEDIA - An ordeal lasting more than a day, keeping many in the Moncton area on edge, is over.
© CHRISTOPHER GOODING - TC MEDIA
RCMP thought for a time the suspect responsible for killing three officers and injuring two more Wednesday evening was in a building near the corner of Killam Drive and Mountain Road in Moncton Thursday afternoon.
RCMP in New Brunswick announced just after 1 a.m. June 6 that 24-year-old Justin Bourque was in police custody.
"Justin Bourque arrested by RCMP at 12:10 in Moncton. He is in police custody. Residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes," said a tweet from RCMP New Brunswick at 1:30 a.m.
The hunt for Bourque started just after 7:30 p.m. June 4 when three officers responding to a complaint in north-end Moncton were fatally wounded. RCMP rushed into the area from throughout the province, Nova Scotia and P.E.I., while residents in the area were locked down in their homes, told to keep their doors locked and to stay off the street.
Bourque was reportedly seen three times early June 5. During the afternoon, police cordoned off a portion of Mountain Road in Moncton, converging on a rooming house on information he may have been there.
All schools and many businesses in the Moncton area were shut down for the day and police urged people to remain in their homes for a second night. RCMP NB asked residents to turn on their homes' outdoor lights to help police with the search.
Details of Bourque's arrest were not immediately available, but various media sources have footage of him being apprehended and place in a police cruiser
Earlier in the day, RCMP said it was the worst day in the history of policing in New Brunswick. It was the worst mass shooting of police since the killing of three officers in Mayerthorpe, Alberta, in 2005.
The National Post reported that one of the three officers killed was Const. Dave Ross, a police dog handler, married with one child and another child on the way