Ming’s owners plan to close

NEW GLASGOW – A staple in the New Glasgow restaurant community is closing its doors come spring.

Ming’s Restaurant is closing its doors in late May after more than three decades in the community. Pictured are general manager Calvin Yu, his wife Sue Kajic and parents Simon and Virginia Yu, who own the business.

Ming’s Restaurant, which has been open for more than three decades on Provost Street in New Glasgow, has announced they’ll no longer be in business as of May 22.

“We have the utmost respect for our community and are thankful for your ongoing support, kindness and patronage in the past 35+ years. From the bottom of our hearts, we wish you a healthy and prosperous future,” a press release from the restaurant’s management says.

General manager Calvin Yu said his parents, who own the business, are looking to retire while he and his wife Sue Kajic have other plans for the future.

While he said it’s sad because he spent so much in Ming’s when he was growing up, he’s happy for his parents – Simon and Virginia – and is proud of them.

His parents came to Canada from Hong Kong with nothing, he said, and met each other in New Glasgow, with his dad having spent some time in different places across the county before settling in Pictou County in 1970 and his mom coming directly east in 1973.

“They ended up here. They found each other here, which is kinda crazy. They saw the opportunity to build a life here.”

Since the restaurant opened in 1979, it’s gone through two or three expansions as well as a few facelifts and changes to the menu, buffet and hours.

It’s both a happy and sad occasion for Virginia, she said.

“Because we’ve been here for the business for 37 years, but we understand it. We’re getting old,” she said.

Calvin said he views the restaurant as almost a member of the family and has been working there full-time for eight years.

“Other than like a physical person, I can think of nothing else in my life that has shaped my character than this building and what has happened in this building. The majority of my life took place here. I learned from so many people coming in and out of this place,” he said during an interview.

He said he’s sad for their staff; they currently employ 18 people.

“A lot of them have been with us for a long time and I do see them as extended family at this point.”

Sue, who also helps with the restaurant, said they plan to help their staff in whatever way they can.

They want to thank the community for supporting the business for so many years, she said.

“If it wasn’t for them and their acceptance of this culture in this little town, Ming’s wouldn’t be what it is.”

Amanda.jess@ngnews.ca

On Twitter: @NGNewsAmanda

Geographic location: New Glasgow, Virginia, Canada Hong Kong Pictou County

Comments

Comments

• Barb Foxall
    March 09, 2016 - 16:37

Lots of family memories or lunch with the family or take out for home. My parents would get a dinner for one and each have supper and lunch for the one order! New Glasgow will miss you!! Happy Retirement from Edmonton AB

• Carola Egilsson
    March 04, 2016 - 23:27

Thank Goodness that you will still be open when we return May 7.....

• Annoymous
    March 03, 2016 - 09:29

Ming's is a Staple of Pictou County!! How can we go on without it? The thought of never having "Ming's" again is very sad! As much as the Yu's deserve retirement, I also hope someone will step forward and continue to carry on this business that Pictou County residents has loved and enjoyed for decades - this can't be the end of the Ming's Era! :(

• Lynn Archibald
    March 02, 2016 - 13:47

So sad to hear Ming's is closing. My husband and I now live in Ontario but we look forward to going to your restaurant every time we are home. We started going over 30 yrs. ago driving from Truro when we were dating and that was the old original and have always visited ever since and even now we live in Ontario your Restaurant is one of our highlights and now our 2 kids also ask when are we going to Mings as soon as we arrive in Truro. One time my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and decided to go to Cape Breton and part of our plan was to stop for egg rolls to eat on our trip your restaurant was not open for lunch so we waited outside for you to open and my husband does not wait normally to eat lol but for your egg rolls he did and we were so glad we did. that summer we went to the restaurant 3 times. I told my family about your closing and from Halifax to Belleville Ontario this family are getting together in ?March and we will visit together for one last family dinner. thank you for all the wonderful food and providing a wonderful place for good memories . We wish you all a well deserved ,relaxing retirement .

• Denise Ruest
    March 01, 2016 - 15:02

Sad to hear the news about Mings closing. Looked forward to going there when I would be home in NS for visits. Enjoy retirement

• M. MacLeod
    March 01, 2016 - 13:04

To the Yu family and to those who have worked at Ming's restaurant over the years - thank you for your hard work and dedication. Many have enjoyed your food and the front of house service you have provided over the years but it is important to note and acknowledge all of the long and unconventional hours that you and your staff have given to run a successful restaurant; particularly behind the scenes in the kitchen. That being said, enjoy your retirement, you will be missed. Much respect.

• Colleen Bellemore
    March 01, 2016 - 09:36

Enloy your retirement, we will have to visit a few more times before you close.

• Annette Desmond-MacLean
    March 01, 2016 - 09:34

I'm saddened to hear of Ming's closing, but I am happy for Simon and his family. I loved the food, atmosphere and service Simon and his staff provided. I love Ming's food. I grew up with Acadian Grill, Tung Fung, and then Mings, all in in the one building. I've seen a lot of changes with the building, owners and staff. I wish you all the best of luck in your retirement and future endeavours.

• Flo Hayden
    March 01, 2016 - 09:03

Am sure our community will really miss Mings.. their food was exceptionally well prepared and had such friendly staff. However, want to take this opportunity to wish Simon and his wife the very best in their well deserved retirement. The very Best Simon! Flo