Letter: More should use Wellness Centre

Great report on the Wellness Centre by outgoing President Ron Baillie and I sure do agree with him. He said it was a real gem for our whole region.

Baillie thanked our town of New Glasgow for now using the Wellness rinks and the usage is up for the facility. I do feel that our town officials  the Mayor and council did not inform the town’s citizens that we were losing anywhere from $200,000 to $400,000 per year operating our Stadium and it sure made sense to use the new Wellness Centre as we already had a user fee of $200,000 for the Wellness Centre and saved up to $400,000 per years by using the centre.

One of my wishes is that more citizens would use our fine facility. The staff are super. The facility has it all for us. Hopefully, those who swore not to use it will have a change of heart and come and use it. Actually our Wellness Centre is located in Pictou West and not in Pictou East or New Glasgow as everyone thought.

As it is now, our Health System is hospital driven across Canada and it is not the way to go as personal health and fitness is used in other countries for a much greater success when it comes to our health and costs. Some of our health dollars are well spent on facilities such as our Pictou County Wellness Centre.

Our Canadian Health Care is almost broke and our costs are completely out of control. What can we all do to help? Even our 649 dollars are being used for health and it is our sacred cow and no political party can change it as it is political suicide for them. Imagine if they asked us to help with a users fee!

It is up to us my friends and that means keeping fit and watch what we eat. Professionals have told me if I had been watching my weight  and exercising I might not have developed type 2 diabetes and I possibly would not have had to have a new hip at a cost of $20,000 to the taxpayer. Our health costs are going through the roof and as an example one training hospital in Ottawa costs over $1 billion to operate per year! It would be nice to advertise the costs just for the Aberdeen Hospital.

That is my story and I would encourage people to use our Wellness Centre as it is really great and it is up to you and I to make the changes for our own health. Yes I am trying and better late than never. My membership cost as a seniors is only $47 per month plus tax.

Organizations: Pictou County Wellness Centre, Health System, Canadian Health Care Aberdeen Hospital

Geographic location: New Glasgow, Pictou West, Pictou East Canada Ottawa

Comments

Comments

• Me from Town
    July 07, 2014 - 08:17

Alex, Just for the record, the Westville Rink is not owned nor run by the town of Westville or the tax payers. It is in fairly good condition compared to the other arenas you mention. The town of Westville also was smart and did not sign onto the wellness centre thus does not contribute to the deficit , so there is absolutely no reason the westville rink should close.

• Westvillian
      July 11, 2014 - 12:31

Agreed. Westville's rink is well-maintained and in great shape. Westville's council also had the foresight to opt out of the Wellness Centre boondoggle.

• alex
    July 05, 2014 - 23:10

well, my opinion is that the wellness center will only work when you shut down the old facilities is should replace including Trenton, Westville, and thorburn- you can't keep maintain these old facilities and a new one, but if you shut the old ones down, the useage factor will go up in the new center, it will cover costs and the rental price would likely go down.

• Stellarton Resident
    July 05, 2014 - 21:57

While I agree that it is an impressive facility, I feel that while the YMCA offers subsidies for low income persons, the location makes it difficult for some to get there! It also does not help that they raised the monthly rate by over $20.00 as soon as it opened.

• sally perry
    July 05, 2014 - 21:37

john u sound so angry.you need to get out more and see other people.you are like most people in pictou you don't like progress.

• John W.
      July 07, 2014 - 15:20

And you sound judgmental. Leave the man to his opinion.

• Spud Peters
    July 05, 2014 - 15:52

If there were more beautiful people in the county it would be full all the time. The prices are outrageous but that was the plan from the beginning, economic exclusion, send the poor at that embarrassment of a rubber park and keep Wellness Centre for the rich and beautiful people .

• Odin
      July 07, 2014 - 15:17

Yeah sure, that was the plan all right. They (whoever "they" are) had this big meeting and said now that we have this nice new facility, how do we keep the riff-raff out? Jeez, people around here are paranoid.

• John beaton
    July 04, 2014 - 23:24

If the wellness centre had not been shoved down pictou counties throats the glasgow stadium would be fine the wellness centre has been losing money since it was made i urge the towns that still have their rinks to fight to keep them i for one have only been in the centre once for my daughters grad and will not grace its doors again