Can’t recommend Pictou because of the stench

To the editor,
On Monday my wife and I drove across the causeway to Pictou. It felt like we were driving through a gas cloud of rotten gas.

We visited the McCulloch House and afterward fully intended to go into town to  eat. But the stench was so bad we turned around and left the area.

We cannot recommend going to the Pictou area to our friends. Go to Prince Edward Island or Cape Breton, but don’t go to Pictou. That belching monster across the water is slowly and surely killing Pictou.

John C. Sinclair

South Carolina

Geographic location: Pictou, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton South Carolina

Comments

Comments

• johnny smoke
    August 07, 2014 - 08:48

So sorry to hear of Mr.Sinclair's plight. I wonder if we are refering to the same Pictou or is his GPS out of whack. I attended a very enjoyable evening at the Pictou Lodge last Saturday evening the food and service was superb as always..Strangely the place was packed, strangely the mill was operating however the stench reported in Mr. Sinclair's piece was missing. I wonder if he is quilty of exaggeration or maybe he just possesses an over active imagination? You be the judge.

• Nula
      August 07, 2014 - 12:56

You were just lucky to be upwind from the stench, johnny. That's a more likely explanation than assuming hundreds of fed up people are just imagining things.

• homefromaway
    August 06, 2014 - 07:00

Yeah - I am visiting the area with 3 other families. I grew up here and we spent 2 days our beaches, then I gave then instructions to go on to Cape Breton and Halifax. I was too scared to send them to Pictou to eat. We ate at the cottage both nights but i agree - it is embarrassing but Pictou Co needs the jobs

• therepo
    August 04, 2014 - 15:54

big picture = tourism is not going to save the area. The numbers are just not there. You are free to look at the statistics province wide. Let us deal with the situation without factoring in this hope. If the argument stands without propping it up with the tourism angle people will have a more balanced view of things. They can then make an honest and informed decision.

• rose's daughter
    August 04, 2014 - 07:05

Sadly, it's not one couple with $20 to spend it's many thousands over the years that made the decision to drive past the county and spend their money elsewhere when they were welcomed with the stench. All those $20 purchases at the various restaurants and businesses are linked to keeping other people in the county employed. Also, we lost many people coming here to live and set up businesses because of the pollution from the mill. A $20 purchase can go a long way.

• Good riddance
    August 02, 2014 - 21:18

Meal in Pictou: $20 Northern Pulp's payroll: not quite sure, but it's more than $20.