Still waiting for the promised economic prosperity

To the editor,

Over my lifetime I have heard of a lots of promises made by politicians. But I cannot remember of any of them being kept. And the reason I say that is after reading our local papers where Darrell Dexter made the promise that prosperity is  ahead and coming to Pictou and the rest of the province because of the shipbuilding and Muskrat Falls. And he went on to say the economies would thrive.

At this time I am not sure where he is getting his information, or is he taking happy pills? For he did not talk about Maritime Steel still having a hard time. Nor did he say anything about Nova Forge closing and putting men out of work or about DSTN of Trenton where he spent taxpayers' money.

I guess it is time to ask Mr. Dexter the question just where is this great prosperity coming from and how soon can we start to enjoy this economic upturn here in Pictou County and the rest of the province? At that time the men and women can start returning home from out west and other parts of Canada.

Loyd Murray

New Glasgow

Geographic location: Pictou County, Trenton, Canada

Comments

Comments

• Wine wine not on TrentonTime
    February 14, 2013 - 10:08

Problem is the Great Leap forward never comes. NDP Tory and Liberal all engage in this cruel game. Word of advice. IF you are young and ready to go to collage go to the NSCC get a trade and move out of this province. The future of this province is similar to Greece.

• LCM
    February 13, 2013 - 14:03

Yes the bottle will have to do for now but the TV ad say the jobs are comeing soon I don;t know how soon but if you need any help with the bottles I not doing any thing and could help you.

• observer
    February 13, 2013 - 10:08

JS: Somebody is feeding you a line of crap. So far as I know, the union security clauses in Public service collective agreements require that employees must become members of the union when they are hired, ie., Open Shop. Craft unions operate on the Closed Shop union security principle which requires employers to hire only union members.The union representing Jail guards is not a Craft Union. Craft unions typically are found in the Construction Ïndustry. In boom times these unions will open their doors to new members who posess the skills and credentials required to perform the duties of the craft in question such as Electrician,Pipefitter, plumber, Carpenter, etc.

• johnny smoke
      February 13, 2013 - 12:19

Be that as it may, I am still awaiting my acceptance for one of those juicy jail guard jobs, especially at the prospect of having home cooked local produce meals three times as day. I was offered an alternate job at the veterans wing in Pictou but seeing that they only have warmed over rubber chicken on their menu I passed. I guess that the bottle job will have to carry me through, snow and all. Right Lloyd?

• LCM
    February 13, 2013 - 09:01

Well my friend you are right the bottles are not bad but better in the summer for there not cover with snow. And the ships that another thing we may have to down to pictou and have a look at the Hector for that could be the only one we see. And no you do not want to be a jail guard for it not all that great. have a hreat day

• Johnny smoke
    February 12, 2013 - 12:25

I know how you feel Lloyd. I myself got tired of waiting for the great boom.I tried to submit an application to be a guard at the new jail currently being build. I was told that I could not apply unless I belonged to the union. Then I was told that I could not join the union unless i was employed as a jail guard.So what next? I was really looking forward to being a jail guard as I am told the meals are scrumptious and the inmates docile. Right up my alley but I guess not to be, oh well there is still bottle picking up along the hiway it does not pay much, but then again you do not have to belong to a union and it will have to do until the ships come in, remember them?