Slow start to LORDA syrup production
LANSDOWNE – Jim Crawford holds out a cup filled with a clear liquid. It doesn’t look like much – in fact it just looks like water.
Check out all the events that are happening in Pictou County this weekend
• Garden Talk – Sharon St. John Church hall, Stellarton, 1 p.m. Tips on growing herbs and flowers. With Margie Beck and Carol Francis. Tickets on a planter full of garden products. Admission $6. Refreshments served.
• Ham and Salad – Take out or delivery 11 a.m.-noon. Cost $8 per person. Hosted by Saint Bee’s Anglican Church, (Helping Hands) Westville.
• Kitchen Party – First United Church, 7-10 p.m. at the church hall on High Street, Trenton. Entertainment and lunch provided. Admission is a free will offering.
• Potluck Supper – Union Presbyterian Church, Thorburn, 4-6 p.m. Cost $10. Pantry table.
• Tea and Sale – Celebrate Spring at MacDonald Rebekah Lodge Sunnybrae, 2-4 p.m. Admission $3. Crafts, bake table, surprise bags and new to you.
• Crib Tournament – Stellarton legion, 1 p.m. sharp (registration 12:30). $10 admission. Bring your own partner. Members and non-members welcome.
• Free Comic Book Day – At all branches of the Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library. Kids of all ages are invited to drop by their library to take part by receiving their free comic books. At 1:30 p.m. at New Glasgow branch, artists Morgan Salter and Brianne Williams will host a program on creating your own comics.
• Knitting Club – Meeting at New Glasgow library, 2:30 pm. Knitters of all levels of skill are welcome to drop by to chat, share, learn and work on a knitting project. We will have some supplies to share for those who do not have their own.
• Friends by the Sea Arts – Art Show fundraiser for the Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library 6-8 p.m. at New Glasgow library. Admission $5 for a door prize draw with all proceeds going towards library collection development. Light refreshments and entertainment by George Durning with John Ashton as emcee.
• Coffeehouse – Alma Firehall at 7:30 pm. Evening of musical entertainment, coffee, tea and snacks. Admission is by donation. All proceeds for Relay For Life, Team “Laps For Life.”
• Annual Book Sale – By Friends of the Antigonish Library at St. James United Church, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Only $1 per lb. of books. Bring books to donate to church Noon-7 pm. No textbooks, Readers Digest or magazines.
• Old Time Dance – Toney River Community Hall, 8:30 p.m.-12. Music by Raymond and Marlene MacDonald and Lynne MacKenzie, caller Jim Redmond. Admission $6. Shared lunch.
• Spring Coffee Party – First Presbyterian Church, Stellarton, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Pantry, craft, novelty and fancywork tables. All welcome. Stairlift available.
• Flea Market – Abercrombie Community Centre, 9 a.m.-noon. Canteen. Lots of books, new-to-you, etc.
• Feast Day Celebration – Our Lady of Grace Monastery, starting with a procession at 2 p.m., then mass at 3 p.m. with Bishop Brian Dunn as celebrant. The Phillippine Choir from Pictou County will be singing. Everyone welcome.
• Lego Time – Pictou library, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Parents welcome to participate with their children.
• Mother's Day Shopping Event – Plymouth Community Centre, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Wide variety of local vendors.
• Spring Fling – A.G. Baillie School, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Silent auction of a variety of goods. Prizes, bounce house, bake sale, raffles, cookie decorating, canteen chocolate bar bingo.
• Drive 4 UR School – Highland Ford, Exit 21, Westville, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., for North Nova Education Centre. For every test drive on this one day, Ford of Canada and Highland Ford will pay the school $20, up to $6,000.
• Trenton Legion Activities – Auction 45’s; dance with Narrows Road, 9 p.m.-close, $5 per person.
• Buy Local in Lyons Brook – Goods and services including locally brewed beer, visual art, doggie daycare, and much more available for sale at the Community Hall, 8:30 a.m.- noon. A project of Lyon’s Brook Women’s Institute.
• Yard Sale – St Andrews Church, Pictou, 8:30-11:30 a.m. Jewelry table, books and household items. On Saturday the AMS group will sell coffee/tea and muffins.
• Church Yard Sale – Trinity United, 8-11 a.m. Use the MacLean St. entrance, New Glasgow. Proceeds for the Sound and Projection system. For pick-up of items call Ron at 755-4041.
• Variety Concert – Sponsored by St. David’s Presbyterian Church, Toney River, 7 p.m. Featuring Brenda and Brian Bowden, Angela Cromwell, Harley White, Donald Duggan and Thursday Night Players. Freewill offering. Lunch to follow.
• Music for Ministry – First Presbyterian Church, Stellarton, 3 p.m. Salvation Army Band, Brian and Brenda Bowden, Inner Voice, Stellarton Male Chorus, Cheryl Lays and Vicki MacLeod, Gospel Four. Donations will be received in support of Archway Counselling.