Slow start to LORDA syrup production
LANSDOWNE – Jim Crawford holds out a cup filled with a clear liquid. It doesn’t look like much – in fact it just looks like water.
PICTOU LANDING – After three hours of discussions with the community, no decision was reached on what to do with an offer from the province on Boat Harbour.
Chief Andrea Paul wouldn’t comment on what the offer was, or how the discussions went, but she did say she felt better than she did two days ago.
Others leaving the meeting, which was closed to media, said the province asked the community to stop the protest, and if they did, they would draft legislation within a year to close Boat Harbour.
A timeline on when Boat Harbour would actually close had not been determined.
They said they had a few days to decide or the offer would be off the table.
“I think we need to have more time to go over every matter of the situation to get a clear understanding of future plans because it’s not fair to everybody else,” Dion Paul said after he left the meeting.
He said they had discussed concerns surrounding the burial ground, and the history of offers from the government.
Chief Andrea Paul said they invited members of Pictou Landing First Nation as well as residents throughout the county to the meeting so that they would have the same understanding.
“I think it’s important that everybody is on the same page. Because we’ve had a tremendous amount of support outside the community so I wanted to make sure they were included in our conversations.”
While they continue to discuss, the protest will go on, she said.
“We do have to go back to the province. I’m not going to disclose if there’s a deadline or not.”
A spokesperson for the Department of Environment said they couldn’t comment on the offer while the community was still in talks.