UPDATED:Suspect in fatal Moncton police shooting spotted but no arrest made in manhunt

The Canadian Press and TC Media

Published on June 4, 2014

MONCTON, N.B. — The RCMP in New Brunswick say a man suspected to have killed three Mounties and injured two others in Moncton was spotted Thursday morning but they were unable to apprehend him.

Supt. Marlene Snowman said officers were continuing to search for the shooter, more than 16 hours after a manhunt began.

Snowman said the suspect is carrying high-powered firearms.

Commanding Officer Roger Brown said the most recent sighting of the suspect was just after daylight Thursday and they were able to positively identify him.

Snowman said they were unable to confirm his identity on two other occasions when he might have been sighted.

Brown said police officers from across the country have been brought in to help arrest the suspect.

The RCMP were searching for 24-year-old Justin Bourque, a Moncton man who was wearing military camouflage and carrying two rifles in a picture of him released by police on Twitter on Wednesday night.

Anyone who sees the suspect is asked to call 911. 

Residents in the area where police were searching have been urged to stay inside their homes and lock their doors.

The RCMP released a map of a large swath of the northwest section of the city, including a heavily wooded area, where they wanted people to remain inside.

Schools and government offices were closed, and city buses were pulled off the roads.

The Mounties have said the two wounded officers suffered non life-threatening injuries.


Yesterday, Const. Damien Theriault said officers responding to call at approximately 7:30 p.m. Wednesday were fatally shot by the suspect, believed to be 24-year-old Justin Bourque. 

Two other officers were transported to Moncton City Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The hospital in Moncton remained closed to visitors Wednesday night, other than those with critically ill family members.

Sean Gallacher, who lives near the area where police are concentrating their search, said he heard what he now believes were gunshots but initially thought his daughter had dropped some toys on the floor above him.

“I was downstairs and heard a few bangs,” said Gallacher, 35.

“I went to check but she hadn’t dropped anything. Then I heard the news and realized what it actually was.”

Hannah Hodder, who lives in the area, told The News she heard about it while at church.

"It's kind of scary," she said. "They don't seem to know where he is. When they do seem to get close he is quick to escape."

She said she can hear a helicopter over their house.