Bourque arrested by RCMP in Moncton

Shooting suspect arrested just after midnight

Published on June 6, 2014
RCMP in New Brunswick have confirmed that 24-year-old Justin Bourque was arrested just after midnight. The arrest ends a 27-hour manhunt after three members of the Codiac RCMP were fatally wounded and two others were injured by the suspect.

A 30-hour search for the gunman allegedly responsible for the fatal wounding of three RCMP officers in Moncton has been caught.

MONCTON -  An ordeal lasting more than a day, keeping many in the Moncton area on edge, is over.

RCMP in New Brunswick announced just after 1 a.m. that 24-year-old Justin Bourque was in police custody.

"Justin Bourque arrested by RCMP at 12:10 in Moncton. He is in police custody. Residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes," said a tweet from RCMP New Brunswick at 1:30 a.m.

The hunt for Bourque started just after 7:30 p.m. when three officers responding to a complain in north-end Moncton were fatally wounded. RCMP rushed into the area from throughout the province, Nova Scotia and P.E.I. and residents in the area were locked down in their homes, told to keep their doors locked and to stay off the street.

Bourque was reportedly seen three times early Thursday and police cordoned off a portion of Mountain Road in Moncton and converged in a rooming house on information he may have been there.

All schools and many businesses in the Moncton area were shut down for the day and police urged people to remain in their homes Thursday night. They were also asked to turn on their  homes' outdoor lights to help police with the search.

Details of Bourque's arrest were not immediately available although various media sources have footage of him being apprehended and place in a police cruiser.

Earlier in the day, RCMP said it was the worst day in the history of policing in New Brunswick. It was the worst mass shooting of police since the killing of three officers in Mayerthorpe, Alta in 2005.

The National Post reported late Thursday that one of the three officers killed was Const. Dave Ross, a police dog handler, married with one child and another child on the way.