Chance Harbour Road grass fire proves hard to reach
Firefighters battled more than smoke and flames at a woods fire Tuesday.
Three local Royal Canadian Legion projects are among a list of 17 branches receiving provincial funding for improvements.
Branch No. 28, Stellarton, and Branch No. 29, Trenton, will each be given monetary help for their roof repair.
Branch No. 108, River John, is also on the list for a new septic system.
Municipal Affairs Minister Mark Furey recently announced a $122,000 government investment under the Legion Capital Assistance Program.
The funding is going towards upgrades to heating systems and washrooms, roof and siding repair, and door and window replacements.
"Legion members across the province dedicate countless hours supporting
local projects and programs for seniors and youth, and in service of veterans," said Furey. "Legions open their facilities to us all for meetings, activities and events, and they play an important role in their communities."
The program provides up to 50 per cent of eligible costs, to a maximum contribution of $10,000.
"Cost-shared grants awarded through this program are invaluable in assisting Royal Canadian Legion branches to remain accessible and sustainable to best serve our veterans and our communities," said Ronald Trowsdale, Royal Canadian Legion Nova Scotia/Nunavut Command president.
The full list of Royal Canadian Legion projects receiving funding are as follows:
- Branch No. 4 Joggins, Cumberland County, heating system upgrade, $4,581
- Branch No. 17 Springhill, Cumberland County, siding, $7,118
- Branch No. 24 Bridgewater, Lunenburg County, heating system upgrade,
- Branch No. 28 Stellarton, Pictou County, roof repair, $10,000
- Branch No. 29 Trenton, Pictou County, roof repair, $9,177
- Branch No. 53 Baddeck, Victoria County, heating system upgrade, $10,000
- Branch No. 58 Sheet Harbour, Guysborough County, heating system
- Branch No. 62 Louisbourg, Cape Breton Regional Municipality, door and
window replacement, $2,098
- Branch No. 66, West Pubnico, Yarmouth County, roof repair, $7,446
- Branch No. 78 Dominion, Cape Breton Regional Municipality, washroom upgrade, $10,000
- Branch No. 80 Lockeport, Shelburne County, window/door replacement,
- Branch No. 95 Bedford, Halifax Regional Municipality, window/door replacement, $6,193
- Branch No. 98 Kingston, Kings County, roof repair, $10,000
- Branch No. 108 River John, Pictou County, septic system, $10,000
- Branch No. 124 Iona, Victoria County, furnace replacement, $6,218
- Branch No. 132 Mabou, Inverness County, washroom upgrade, $5,241