New Brunswick man dies from injuries sustained in Ben Eoin accident

Published on August 1, 2014
Ben Eoin Campground

BEN EOIN — A 25-year-old New Brunswick man has died following an alleged car-jumping incident earlier this week at a campground in Ben Eoin.

An article published by the Moncton-based Times & Transcript newspaper says Josh Burns was being remembered by his family Thursday as a loving young man who cared for everyone around him.

The 25-year-old man, who was from the Moncton area, died Wednesday following injuries he sustained in an incident on Tuesday.

“My son loved everything, he didn’t have a mean bone in his body,” said Burns’ mother Cindy Carter, in an interview with the Times & Transcript. “He gave his whole life to people. Even on his birthday, he bought his girlfriend presents.

“He’s still giving,” she said. “Joshua is saving lives as we speak right now. He gave his organs. We were given the call today that the people were already brought into Halifax and he’s giving actual life-saving organs to people that are going to have full lives because of him."

His older brother, Jonathan Burns, remembers teaching Josh to fish a few years ago and how he would always insist Jonathan carefully remove the hooks and return catfish and eels.

“My brother was just the nicest person you’ll ever meet,” he said. “Here’s a kid who won’t let me drive my car out of the driveway unless I have a seatbelt on, even if I’m just switching places with my mother’s car. He makes me pull off to the side of the road if the rain gets hard ...”

Jonathan said his younger brother hoped to one day have a farm for abandoned animals.

“He was a hard guy to get to know,” he said. "He was a very shy, very introverted person, but he had such a big heart and he was not afraid to show it when it counts.”

The family told the Times & Transcript that they don't know much about the circumstances of Josh’ death. Cindy said she hopes to hear from the person who was with Josh at the time of the incident.

Desiree Vassallo, spokeswoman for the Cape Breton Regional Police, said the investigation is closed.

“It is no longer a police matter, we’re not involved anymore,” she said. “We did respond initially, but have completed our work and there is nothing criminal there for us to pursue.”

Vassallo said police responded to a call at the Ben Eoin Beach RV Resort & Campground, southeast of Sydney, around 11 a.m. on Tuesday after receiving reports that a 25-year-old man had jumped from a moving vehicle he was a passenger in.

The man was rushed by ambulance to Cape Breton Regional Hospital before being flown out by helicopter shortly after noon on Tuesday to a hospital in Halifax.

Vassallo wouldn’t speculate on what happened. She said the driver was the only other occupant of the vehicle and she couldn’t say how the two knew one another.

Alexis MacDonald, owner of the campground, told the Times & Transcript on Thursday morning that the man was a “visitor” to the campground, but she had no information about the incident.