Female hockey hands out the hardware
NEW GLASGOW – The Pictou County Female Hockey Association held its annual year-end banquet this week at North Nova Education Centre.
• The Pictou County Minor Hockey Association is shopping around, looking if a better deal for ice rentals can be found at other local rinks.
The Pictou County Wellness Centre raised their hourly rates slightly – about seven dollars per hour, give or take – for the upcoming season (see story in Wednesday’s edition of The News, or find it online at ngnews.ca).
Couple of items here, which aren’t really related to each other:
1. Rightly or wrongly, some minor hockey parents are going to bristle at leaving the modern facility that is the PCWC to set up shop at one of the old cold rinks around Pictou County. Not that there’s anything wrong with old and cold rinks, per se. From my own memory, the Debert arena was brand new back in 1977 or so, but it felt old and cold the first day it opened. In fact, I’m not even sure if it had artificial ice during the first year of its existence, but yet we survived. It’s amazing, the things a person can put up with when there’s no other option.
2. The PCMHA is certainly within its right to seek out the best bargain possible.
3.) Renting ice at the Wellness Centre, even with the increase, is still a pretty good deal when compared to other rinks in other markets.
Oh and another thing: I’m glad it’s not my problem. Whenever possible, let other people worry about it.
• Here is something I type every year around this time: It’s too hot for hockey and the NHL playoffs should be over and done with by now. Although, if the Toronto Maple Leafs were chugging toward a berth in the Stanley Cup final right now, I’d feel very different about the matter.
• Once a golfer learns that a bad day on the course isn’t really a bad day, he/she is in a much better state of mind, and may even become a better golfer.
Non-Sports Thought of the Week:
• Quick, someone call the fashion police (while you’re at it, bring in the hazards disposal unit).
This is not to suggest that I’m expert on fashion – although in recent years I’ve stepped it up with the colour-coordination – but you know those rompers for men that have become all the rage among those with bad taste? If you aren’t familiar with them, consider yourself lucky that you don’t go on the Internet.
Most of the time, it’s good to have a ‘whatever-floats-your-boat’ kind of outlook on things, but if you’re a guy and old enough to be out of diapers, you’re too old to be wearing a RompHim.
On the other hand, if you don’t mind embarrassing yourself in public, who is everybody else to judge? Be yourself and set the trend, even if the whole world thinks you look weird! You go, girl!
Err, sorry… you go, man!
Kevin Adshade is sportswriter with The News. His column appears each Saturday.