Smoothies can be a nutritious and convenient snack or even a meal! With just a few basic ingredients blended together, you can prepare a delicious smoothie.
1. Start with fresh or frozen fruit. Add at least one of your favourites, such as berries, peaches or mangoes.
2. Milk, water or fortified plant-based beverages such as soy, almond or coconut are great options.
3. Add some protein like Greek yogurt, peanut/nut butter, or pasteurized egg whites to keep you full longer.
4. Add even more nutrition by adding a green leafy vegetable to your smoothie. Try baby kale, spinach or beet greens.
5. Enhance the sweetness by adding a ripe banana, honey or a splash of vanilla.
6. Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Sometimes we blend our ingredients together and we may not get the exact taste or consistency we are looking for. Follow the suggestions below to get the perfect flavour and texture.
Is your smoothie too sweet? Try adding:
• Lemon juice
• Lime juice
• Plain yogurt
Is your smoothie bitter? Try adding:
• Vanilla or coconut extract
• Fresh or frozen berries
• Honey or maple syrup
• Flavored yogurt
Is your smoothie too thick? Try adding:
• Milk or fortified plant based beverage (soy, almond or coconut)
Is your smoothie too thin? Try adding:
• Unsweetened applesauce
• Ground flax or chia seeds
• Peanut butter or other nut butter
• Silken tofu, soft
• Fresh or frozen berries
• Pineapple chunks
Try a Smoothie Bowl
Why not try something new for breakfast– a smoothie bowl you eat with a spoon! Pour your favourite smoothie into a bowl instead of a glass and add some tasty toppings. Some of our favourites are:
• Nuts and seeds
• Hemp hearts or chia seed
• Dried fruit
• Fresh berries
• Shredded coconut
Hungry for more? Like @SobeysDietitian on Facebook and Twitter for more tasty tips & recipes or receive our schedule of events and Healthy Bits & Bites Newsletter directly to your inbox! Register at www.sobeyspharmacy.com/newsletter.
Join our Sobeys Walking Program – Mondays at Sobeys Westside from 10:30-12p.m. For more details call Teresa at (902)-755-3645 or e-mail Teresa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Pumpkin Spiced Smoothie
½ cup 125 ml Pumpkin purée, canned
1 medium Banana
½ cup 125 ml Yogurt, vanilla, lower fat
½ cup 125 ml Milk, 1%
1 tbsp 15 ml Honey
¾ tsp 4 ml Pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp 2 ml Vanilla extract
2 cups 500 ml Ice, crushed
1. Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Fat 1 gram
Carbohydrate 21 grams
Fibre 2 grams
Protein 3 grams
Sodium 35 milligrams
Tip: Garnish with a cinnamon stick and some light whipped topping.
Source: Sobeys Dietitians